Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I own four dogs. They all know that the house is not the place to go to the bathroom in, in fact when we found our lab (they're all rescues) he was just a puppy and we never even had to train him. He just knew to go outside.

When my redbone/lab mix was younger, HE used to tinkle and pee out of excitement. He still does it every once in awhile, but it's like once in a blue moon and almost never happens. Our problem lies in our Catahoula. He, like the redbone, is a hunting dog - so I almost wonder if this problem is a hunting dog issue, because the Catahoula (Benito) has started peeing whenever he gets excited.

Mostly this happens when it's time to go out in the morning. This is when we have the biggest problem. This morning, for example, he woke up at 8 and peed on my floor even though he'd been out for a LONG time last night and water had been picked up. He stopped when I yelled, and as I was getting to the door, he tinkled while running to it.

I can't let him stay outside for several reasons. We just moved, so our backyard is mostly clay and he'll dig right out if I don't watch him, two it gets really hot here in Louisiana, three... he's a people dog. Catahoula's are very sensitive, I think leaving him outside when he's used to being able to cuddle up with me at night would hurt him.

With the exception of this peeing business, he's a great dog. I need help badly, though. I have carpets, and I can't afford to replace them with hardwood floors just yet. What do I do?

Thank you in advance to anyone who helps.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Did you get him checked if there was a medical problem?

EDIT: you shouldn't yell at him for that. It's not like he's doing this on purpose.
if it's just in the morning, I suppose you've got to wake up earlier. perhaps the night is too long for him to hold it in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's been doing this ever since we got him. He's been to the vet and the vet has found no health issues. The only health issue he's ever had is a hacking he makes and that's from a horrible vet shoving a tube down his throat with little care and giving him a throat infection. He's better now - but that was the only health issue he ever had.

I yell "Stop" at him, also - it's so that he knows he's doing something he shouldn't be doing. I've also tried getting up earlier. It doesn't matter what time it is I get up to let him out, he gets excited and pees.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yes, definitely don't leave him outside! There is a way to make this better without exiling him :)

Firstly, don't yell at him when you find him peeing indoors. For one, he might start associating peeing with you being scary, and that will make it more difficult to encourage going in the right place. He probably continued to pee as he ran out because of fear and confusion. Counter productive.

Secondly, you could probably manage the situation better. See if waking up and letting him out an hour earlier makes a difference. 8 is fairly late, depending on when you go to bed.

Third, you might want to work on encouraging calmness in him and developing his self control, to help him cope with being over-excited. Also brush up on house training, taking him out regularly and praising and treating when he goes outside. You'll find it much much more effective to teach him what it is you want him to do, and how to handle himself, than yelling and trying to show him what's "wrong". These videos should help:

Training Calmness
Calm Markers
House Training

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please don't misunderstand. I don't yell or scold him when he does it, I have to shout to get him to stop. If I tug him, he continues to pee. If I shout, he snaps out of it and jumps around to the door. I don't understand why.

He goes out in the morning, usually between 6-8. He goes out again around 11. Then again at 3. He goes out later around 5 and then again at 6 when it's time for him to eat dinner. He's usually fine after that until 10 to go out again, which he does. That's when we pick up the water. We don't normally go to bed early, so we let him out RIGHT before bed too. So he either goes out for the last time at night at 12 or 1, sometimes a little later. .

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Then either let him continue pee, or you've got to be fast to bring him out when he shows any sign of becoming overexcited.
I however think that this isn't only a psychical problem, since he seems to specifically have this problem after the night. Does he lose his urine also in other exciting situations.
for example before going for a walk?
Also he normally get's out every 4-5 hours, but he has to hold in during the night between 5 and 8 hours
Since most people tend to need sleep for ~6-8 hours to feel good the next day, I suppose most of the mornings he'll have to wait longer than 4-5 hours. which is pretty long when you have a full and/or weak bladder.

does he drink unusal amounts of water, for example because his throat hurts? (you told he has a problem there...) You've got a second dog...so does he drink more than your other dog?

Sorry to ask you again...but did you get his urine tested?
I'm asking because a dog, that I know, had similiar problems, and they found out he had a chronical bladder infection.

for managing: You could buy
, to use them for the night, so you don't have to clean every morning as long as the problem isnT' solved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a total of four dogs. He's the only one with this problem. I assure you, he's been seen by a vet and he has no health issues save for the previous throat problems.

No, he doesn't drink more water. My lab and pit drink more than he does and we pick the water up after 10, then let him out again a few hours later before bed so I don't see why he'd have any build up to really HAVE to go to the bathroom like that. We make sure to get them out as often as possible, so it's not like they have to hold it long periods of time except for at night and like I said, they get the water picked up.

His urine hasn't been tested lately, but it's only when he has to go out that he has this problem with peeing when excited. It's like he can't hold it. Our redbone had the same issue when he was younger, but we had hardwood floors and it was easier to clean up at the time. Now we have all carpet.

If he hasn't gone out in a few hours, he'll pee when excited when we go on a walk. If he's just gone to the bathroom, he won't pee.

We tried diapers for our pit mix when she was peeing in the bedroom and it worked, she doesn't do it anymore. But they're to small for our Catahoula so we have to get more. We're definitely going to get diapers though.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Please don't misunderstand. I don't yell or scold him when he does it, I have to shout to get him to stop. If I tug him, he continues to pee. If I shout, he snaps out of it and jumps around to the door. I don't understand why.

He goes out in the morning, usually between 6-8. He goes out again around 11. Then again at 3. He goes out later around 5 and then again at 6 when it's time for him to eat dinner. He's usually fine after that until 10 to go out again, which he does. That's when we pick up the water. We don't normally go to bed early, so we let him out RIGHT before bed too. So he either goes out for the last time at night at 12 or 1, sometimes a little later. .
The problem seems to be not to do with his bladder then, but a behaviour issue- what kind of situations does he pee in exactly? You say it's excitement? What are the triggers? Did you look at the links I posted about teaching calmness? If you can pinpoint why and when he's doing it, it will be easier to resolve with training.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.