Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction here. I have posted a few times on which dog breed to look at for my next puppy. I have been thinking about it lately and I have decided to get another labrador retriever. I know I cannot replace my last lab and have no intention of doing so, but I cannot imagine a better dog than a Lab.
I live in San Antonio, TX but I have no problem driving to out of area breeder (Dallas/ Houston area)
I'm not looking to buy my puppy right away but I would like to get a puppy this year. I just started my search and I was wondering if anyone knew of a reputable breeder around my area to look at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not from Texas so I don't know any dog breeders there, but I strongly suggest going to the dog shelter to get your puppy. Many shelter dogs are labs or lab mixes, and these dogs are in desperate need of a home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dog shelter

I'm not from Texas so I don't know any dog breeders there, but I strongly suggest going to the dog shelter to get your puppy. Many shelter dogs are labs or lab mixes, and these dogs are in desperate need of a home.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I will second the idea that there are a whole lot of Labs and lab mixes (including puppies and purebreds) in shelters and rescues. You'd be getting a better deal money wise, and rescuing a dog that isn't much different from a Lab from a breeder, and plenty of them actually are originally.

However if you insist on a breeder, that's fine. First of all you need to find a breeder that actually knows what they're talking about. They should be very knowledgeable about their breed and breeds them "For" something. Labs can do a lot, therapy and service work, police/search and rescue, hunting, dock diving, etc. You want to find a breeder whose dogs actually *do* something, and aren't just bred for looks or "for pets". Also, if you want a more energetic dog you'd want an "American" bred Lab, with a leaner build and skull. For a more laid back dog, you'd want an "English" bred Lab, with a bulkier build and skull. Either way you want a breeder that will show you extensive health testing they do on their breeding dogs, allow you to meet the mother, and allow you to look at the kennel.

I also just came across this great table I found online. Great standards to go on. While I have normally used the term "hobby breeder" as a negative term, in reference to this table you would want a dog from either the "reputable" or "hobby" breeder sides. A dog from any of the others would likely be an unhealthy, mentally unstable animal that was bred in cruelty. Good luck finding your new friend!

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts