Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My coming up 5 month old puppy is huge and has been growing at what seems a crazy rate. My older dog of a similar cross is very tall but I don't remember him ever being this big and out of proportion at a young age. He has legs for days and big joints and feet. I have done a little reading and it seems that watching calorie intake is the way to go but i wanted some advice from personal experiences. He is light without being skinny and I plan on keeping him this way.

·
Banned
1,401 Posts
Erring toward the leaner side is most always the better way to go. Since all dogs are different ( metabolism, amount of exercise etc., ), the simple rib test has always been a good guide. Your pup is coming into the stage where pano might be possible. I'd also be considerate of your dog's growth plates during the near future and proceed with some common sense regarding undue impact and repetitious lower impact activity, tough to do with an energetic pup at times. Leaner is better during this process as well.

Here's a chart of growth plate closure times for dogs in general.

PROVET HEALTHCARE INFORMATION - Growth Plate Closure Times - Dogs

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm not sure what breed of dog you have, but if you have a large breed dog, it is highly important that they grow slowly and steadily. You want their bones and joints to grow properly.

For example, for growing mastiffs, they recommend choosing a food with a lower protein level (under 30%) and a calcium/ phosphorous percentage closer to the 1:1 ratio. Too much calcium at this stage results in too fast growth.

You could try large breed puppy food, but also adult food for all life stages could also work. I'd check the nutritional analysis label before investing in the food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts