Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a German Shepard from a man who breeds them. The male was amazing, and the mom was very agressive. Both parents had beautiful bodies, color and there ears are up.

I bought a female named Lady. My Buddy bought a Male named Tiago. The pups were born Jan 20th 2011. so that makes them just about 6 months old. Since the begining... Tiagos ears were always up... Lady's ear just hang flopped over.

Could she be a late bloomer??? or should I be worried that here ears are gonna be down for good?

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Gsd ears go up and down a lot especially during teething.. Has it ever gone up?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
274 Posts
My dog, Loki, is mostly GSD and his ears didn't fully stand up until around 9 months.

Here's an interesting site about gluing ears instead of taping them:

How to get a German Shepherd puppies ears to stand up.

I think gluing seems way more humane, honestly. ETA: Like Cali asked, does the ear EVER stay up, or is it always down?

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Lazy's right ear wasn't standing until he was about a year and a half old, it takes time sometimes.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Lazy's right ear wasn't standing until he was about a year and a half old, it takes time sometimes.
Wow, that's late! I didn't realize they would stand up at all if it took that long. Good to know :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gsd ears go up and down a lot especially during teething.. Has it ever gone up?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes... the ears stand up every now and then... but now they dont stand up as offten...

She is one out of 15 puppies... and was only 1 of 4 females.... So I tried to get the largest female,,, but she was really somewhere in the middle of the group in size.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
It was always hanging down until around 11 months, then it started stand up and flop down often but it final stayed up at around 15 months.

I personaly think when you glue the GSD ears or any other mean of keeping them up it kinda deforms them...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
you could always go the taping/glueing route.

·
Registered
79 Posts
@Pawzaddict - I've never owned a full GSD so not any use in that respect - but I can say that Stella (Nietzsche's mum) had 15 puppies, though one died at 1 day old:(. We were quite surprised actually, though it turnes out one of the puppies may have had a different father than the others:ponder:. Anyways, she did have some GSD in her.....

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
I've heard of high numbers like that in GSD litters, although also heard that often the breeder needs to do supplemental feedings with such large litters. Amazing mum if she was able to produce that much milk to get 14 puppies to weaning age. Maybe she was grumpy from the stress and that was her aggressiveness? You'd think she'd be totally depleted physically...

Anyway, regarding the ears... you get what ever happens. If they stand up, great. If not, then you can decide the different look is just what you wanted! Life is better when you greet events with this approach. ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had a GSD once that had one ear flopped until he was 10 months, then it stood. The other ear never did. It stayed flopped over. He was a rescue from some one that was breeding out of their back yard. I felt bad for him and didnt know any better so I took him home. Its a touchy subject, but from what you have said so far, I have to ask. Was this person able to show you any type of health certs for the pups? Were all 14 pups from the same litter? Large litters are not uncommon but the average for GSD's is 9 pups. Larger litters may end up with health problems. Could be the reason for the ears not standing. Was the mother aggressive toward people and dogs or just people? If its a temperament issue, you may want take extra care to properly socialize and train your pup. Did the breeder offer any type of health or temperament guarantee? Im sorry if I offend you but I am very cautious of breeders. Especially GSD breeders.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.