Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've been pining for a doberman or two for a long time, I've done my research on them, read history, etc... though I've never owned one prior, I've owned dogs, and expect this beautiful goofy lovable breed to be perfect for me.

Now my only idea was, I want two dobermans, so they can at least keep each other company while I or my husband are at work.

I would love two puppies, and I'm not worried about spending seperate amounts of time with each, but more how dependent they will be on each other, to the point of where they couldn't handle being seperated.

So I was thinking about getting an adult dog from a rescue, letting that dog settle in and get really comfortable with me and our house, and eventually finding a breeder in the litter an taking the adult dog with me to pick out a puppy that would get along with her okay and vice versa.

This allows me my adult dog, where i can immediatly take for long runs and bike rides and hikes, but also lets my have my cute adorable puppy to train and raise on my own.

I also heard that having a puppy and an adult dog who is already house trained makes the process easier for the puppy.

does any one have any other suggestions, opinions, or points to point out to me about this? I've never had two dogs at once that were different ages. is there anything i really need to watch out for?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Seems like a good plan to me, just make sure the first dog you get isn't dog aggressive, and make sure that when you get the puppy, to take the dog with you to see which puppy he gets along with the best, otherwise sounds like a good plan.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think your idea will work great.
Having an adult dog will help the puppy to learn faster. Just make sure that your dog isn't that aggressive. :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
Being a breeder I have to say that if you arent home it is not a good idea to keep a puppy with a strange adult. This adult you wont know anything about, and you wont know if your pup is being attacked while you arent home.

The only way it would be a good idea is to keep them seperated during the day but within eyesight of eachother. Yes the pup will learn alot from an adult but how many rescues would have been raised in a home. You may find yourself training both dogs at the same time. This is ok too if you have the time to do it. I do find it good that you want a rescue also, I like ppl saving a dogs life. Buying from a breeder is also excellent. Please make sure its not from a backyarder or farmer. Nothing worse than lining their pockets when you could bye a genetically healthy purebred dog. Breeders can show you the paperwork and history of the dogs that the pup you choose has come down from. A good breeder also breeds for good temperaments.

Hope this helped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts