Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a Golden Retriever puppy (Milo) who is 4.5 months old (20 weeks). I've had him since he was 6 weeks old. I noticed him growing rapidly which is completely normal for his age but the past few vet visits (last one being 3 days ago) have shocked me to how big he was/is getting right now and I'm trying to figure out how big he will be. As of right now he weighs 52 lbs which for his age and breed is very unusual. His parents were both in low 70s range.
When I asked the vet if he's overweight, he pointed out that he's actually quite slim and not at all overweight. So I'm confused now lol.
He pointed out that his ribs can be felt with ease and the rest of his body is very proportional as well. The vet also mentioned that Milo doesn't LOOK 52 lbs. He said if he had to guess, he was at most 40 lbs.
A lot of people also point out how huge his paws are compared to their adult dogs (I know it's not a great indicator but I thought it's worth mentioning).

Has anyone had an experience like this?
I know I'm probably overthinking it but I'm just not sure what or if I'm doing something wrong. I don't feed him any more than the recommended amount and his food is high quality too. He gets plenty of age-appropriate exercise daily as well.

Do you guys have any estimate on how much he'll weigh as an adult? All the online weight estimators say he's gonna be between 90-110 lbs which is soooo much higher than his breed and genetics so I'm not sure what to believe lol

If you have any ideas or tips for me, it's very much appreciated. I'll attach a few recent pics so you guys get the image.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,502 Posts
I’ll ask a couple of questions first if that’s ok - just to eliminate things you have likely thought of yourself.

Is it possible he is a little older than you think? Six weeks is actually quite young to leave the mother, and it could account for him being larger than expected.

Could the scales be wrong? Probably not, but it’s worth mentioning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the questions!

1. No, it's honestly near impossible he's older than he is.. The breeder was a very reputable breeder in the area (now retired) and all the paperwork regarding his birth and other medical things came straight from the vet.

2. Yeah I know. 6 weeks is quite young but maybe it's worth mentioning that he was 1 day from being 7 weeks. And there were special circumstances with the breeders situation that led to him being sold sooner than usual. It's a long story haha

3. I doubt the scales at the vet are wrong (I guess it is possible though!) but I've been thinking of getting a scale myself to triple check since this seems so weird.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Milo looks perfect to me. My golden female had her growth spurt at about 6 months, and didn't stop until she was 11 months old. Remember that genetics go back well before Milo's parents, and there are always differences when different genes get together from different parents.
I am also not big on breed standards, but that's me.

3.5 months old

Dog Blue Carnivore Dog breed Wood

6 months old
Brown Dog Dog breed Carnivore Snow

11 months old and had finished growing. She topped out at 65lbs, just like her mother.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Working animal Fawn

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply!

Yes that's an excellent point and I hadn't thought about how far back genetics go! I feel much better knowing that he's not the only pup who's going through an unusual growth spurt.

And yes I understand what you mean regarding breed standards. I actually prefer a giant breed dog but settled down to a large because of other family member's preference. I use the breed average weight as a general rule to point out that he's a bit of an anomaly but I completely understand your point.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I forgot to mention that Beanie's dad was 95 lbs! LOL

This picture is of her parents, and her brother ..Papa is the one on the left side. My friends are not breeders and gifted her to me. Daddy dog is my friend's hunting buddy.
Dog Vertebrate Carnivore Dog breed Liver

1 - 6 of 6 Posts