Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took in a dog who was dumped on me about 10 months ago. he was a spoiled untrained, unneuetered, unvaccinated lap dog. with some good, focused attention, i am very pleased with this transformed, adorable, remarkable, and well-trained dog. i have so much to be thankful for and to brag about him...save for one thing.

i learned from mutual friends that the prior owner allowed him to urinate all over the carpet and rugs in the house. after he destroyed the one rug in my wood-floor home, it hasn't been a problem at my house. nor has it been in any other home i have taken him as he is usually well-monitored.

until now.

we spent some of the holidays overnight at a friends house and we now discovered he peed under an ottoman on a large room area rug. because he was well-monitored and got plenty of walks and did appropriate business outside and even had access to a yard that he knows how to use...this is completely unacceptable...and embarrassing. and because of the more hidden location of his urine, i believe he is aware of the unacceptable nature of this behavior.

i must reiterate, he has been very easy to turn around and i am very proud of him...but the rug issue is one that i thought was resolved but apparently, is not. and it is a behavior i am fairly certain he will not display in front of me...even if i watch him 24/7. i am curious if anyone can offer a good behavioral solution before i have to make him wear one of those diapers when we visit other folks homes...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well, I wouldn't classify it as a behavior problem unless you can 100% guarantee no cat/dog/gerbil/hamster/child ever peed on the rug before. Even the best train dogs can succumb to the tempting lure of old urine...even decades old.

·
Registered
911 Posts
. and because of the more hidden location of his urine, i believe he is aware of the unacceptable nature of this behavior.
He doesn't know it is unacceptable. It's likely that he was stressed in the new environment which can cause these types of things to happen. Also dogs don't always translate things like house training to other homes. He knows he shouldn't pee in your home, but that doesn't mean he gets not to go in your friends home. Also if another animals has peed there before he could have smelled it. And since it was under the ottoman he may have felt safe there.

Reactions: cookieface
1 - 3 of 3 Posts