Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About six weeks ago, I took a Yorkie in. The former owners could no longer care for him and assured me he was house trained. Well, he is not. He also had a traumatic past. He was first abandoned in an apartment and a neighbor took pity and fed him once a day. I forget how the people before him got a hold of him, I think it was through a friend who knew of the situation. Anyway, he has huge separation anxiety. He wasn't horribly socialized either but luckily loves people and other animals. The people before me only used doggy diapers and potty pads. He goes outside and we take him out every two hours, sometimes sooner. We also reward him with treats when he goes outside. But he still soils in the house. He started to whine when he had to go out and he was taken out whenever he did that. We worked out a schedule that seemed to be working.

All efforts have gone nowhere. It'll work briefly, then he'll revert back to soiling in the house more frequently. He will not poop in his crate, though. He rarely pees in it. So I don't think it's anxiety driven.
I won't punish him for going in the house and I've read through ASPCA tips on how to train an adult dog. I've literally done everything it had suggested and nothing seems to stick.
Most of the time, he goes when no one is looking. He has no fear of going outside and does go when taken out for walks.
He walks in his harness and leash. We use to feed him three times a day, on a schedule. He's gained some weight and even actually GREW in size, which makes me think even more he's not three years old. Since he's starting to poop more, we're going to take it down to two times a day, with a snack in between. I know changing up their diet will cause a change but I'm hoping he'll poop less and be able to hold it a bit more, if that's even the issue here.

I'm at such a loss. He's due for the vet in October, where I plan on voicing my concerns. But I figured if I can get any helpful advice before then, that would be great.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
He may have been house trained at his previous home, but for some dogs a change in environment can cause set backs. It also sounds as though he has developed a habit of going when and where he wants - that will be a bit more difficult to overcome than starting with a puppy who hasn't developed undesirable behaviors.

I assume you've seen the house training sticky here?

Most of the time, he goes when no one is looking.
He really shouldn't have the opportunity to go when no one is looking. You may need to use gates or an expen to confine him to the room you're in so that you can watch and prevent accidents. Are there specific times he seems to have accidents? Like at 5pm or while you eat breakfast that might help you be more proactive?

It'll work briefly, then he'll revert back to soiling in the house more frequently.
Could it be that as you see progress you are less vigilant? That happens quite frequently (and not just with house training - I got relaxed with my puppy's counter surfing and he ate a plate of bacon :( ).

You mentioned separation anxiety, but don't think the house training issues are related. What makes you say that?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
If he's never been fully housetrained, you're going to have to start completely from scratch.

Pretend that instead of an adult dog, you have an 8 week old puppy. He'll need go out every hour, and be supervised constantly when inside - look for those signals that he needs to go, then get him outside. If you can't keep an eye on him, he needs to be crated.

Keep rewarding him for going outside. Eventually, he'll build up the habit.

You can also introduce a "signal" for him - maybe ringing a bell - that he does right before you go outside to the bathroom. It may help him to learn that he can control when he needs to go out, by letting you know.

Since he's an adult, he'll probably progress a bit faster than a puppy, but don't get cocky and allow him too much freedom at once. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
He should visit the vet before October. He could have a UTI and you don't want to let that go for 2 months.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Six weeks isn't long enough to guarantee a dog that IS completely housebroken before you adopt it.

To everyone else's advice I'm going to add that tiny dogs have tiny bladders and will need to go out frequently. If taking him out frequently isnt an option for whatever reason it IS possible to litterbox train a dog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts