Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Callie is a mixed breed rescue dog we adopted at 6 months of age. She is now almost 2 years old. She is a great dog, outside of the below potty training issue she has no behavioral issues.

*Normal potty training experience at 6 months
*Always had to ensure she went poop after she ate otherwise she would go in the house
*Seemed to get it down after months of consistency in meal times and taking out after
*Gradually there have been accidents through the past year or so; even some urination
*Past month or so it has accelerated to an extreme
*We keep her on leash and in sight; but if she is able to escape she finds a spot to poop; even if she has been recently let out
*She is cage trained and can hold it. She does not go when supervised and on leash

At this point we dont know what to do. We are keeping her on leash nearly at all times and are extremely consistent throughout the day. We have bells on the door and she knows to ring it if she wants to go outside.

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
You might try clicker training it is helpful in training where to go. I sounds like she thinks its OK to potty in the house. Use the clicker and treats to show her where you want her to go. Watch the second video to help you understand the training. Make sure you load the clicker when you start the first time by clicking and treating about 10 times to help her understand what the clicker means.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPiFcG7ROI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wv1uvvqaSw

·
Registered
900 Posts
When you let her out to relieve herself, get her to go more than once before coming back inside the house.

Have there been any changes around the same time she started to go inside?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great ideas, I appreciate it. No, there have been no notable changes in our home. The hard part is that she will escape from our sight and quickly relieve herself...even shortly after we have let her out and she has pooped/pee'd. She seems to do it more when I am not home and my wife is watching her...but not always.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You might never know why she regressed. It might be anything from a noise startled her outside when she was pooping to one day she just couldn't hold it for whatever reason and the relief of defecating in the house was reinforcing. She's developed a habit, now you have to help her re-develop the old habit you like better.

Whatever the "why" is, I would treat this dog like a brand new, unhousetrained puppy. 100% supervision, tether or crate. Generously reward eliminating outside. If you know she often sneaks off after coming inside to go potty again, take her outside again after 5-10 minutes. Repeat until she goes, then huge jackpot reward.

You can do it. :) I think the key for this dog will be preventing her sneaking off to eliminate out of sight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts