Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 year old Australian Shepherd/Sheltie mix.

We got him about 3 years ago from a couple that frankly didn't have the time for him. When we got him, he smelled awful and he didn't eat due to 4 loose teeth that the previous owners never noticed. He also has alot of anxiety issues. He is terrified of any sudden or loud noise (ex. The washing machine, fireworks, thunderstorms, the garbage truck, etc.) He will start violently shaking and will either sit by me, or will run off to a small space to sit.

Lately, his anxiety has gotten much worse. He has started licking spots on his side and arm raw, and is starting to become anxious when it just rains (no thunder or lightning, just rain).

He has also started going to the bathroom in the house when my fiance or I are gone during the day. Even if we take him out before we leave and are only gone 4 hours, he will still go. He has also started scratching up his nose by rubbing it violently on the carpet when we are gone, getting blood everywhere.

Nothing has changed to cause this. He's eating the same food, on the same scheduel, and has the same excersizes routine. I'm just not sure what to do! We were thinking about getting him a kennel to put him in while we're gone.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would take this dog to the vet as there might be something else going on, especially if this started somewhat suddenly (you didn't mention how long this has been going on).

As for the anxiety, a crate could help if he has a generally positive association with it, but you may also consider asking the vet for some anti-anxiety medication as well which would help him cope better as you work on behavior modification with him to decrease stress.

Other things that can help with his anxiety: Karen Overall's Relaxation Protocol, thunder-shirt, scented diffusers

Start with the vet visit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Vet. Medical conditions can cause these symptoms.

A kennel wouldn't do anything. If he can't hold it because things happen when dogs get old..you're just going to come home to a dog sitting in a mess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts