Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, first time posting here. My husband and I have a 5-year-old American Bulldog. We adopted her when she was 2 from a shelter, and she came to us well house-trained. When we first got her, we would only have to take her out two times a day (before and after work), and she would never have accidents in the house. For over a year now though, she's been regressing. Now we take her out four times a day (before work, a walker during the day, after work, and before bedtime), but still, sometimes she'll pee in the house between walks when we're not home, or during the night while we're sleeping. Occasionally she'll even poop. We never catch her in the act. She's good about letting us know when she needs to go out, but at night sometimes we don't hear her and can't get up to take her out.

We've had her checked out at the vet - she even had an ultrasound to check for bladder stones - but nothing wrong was found. We praise her when she pees and poops outside, but it hasn't stopped her going inside if she's by herself for more than a couple of hours. It's not an every day thing. Some days she doesn't go inside at all. We can't take her out any more than we do - we have to work and we have to sleep. She has a very chill disposition, she loves nothing more than to be petted and loved. She's a little nervous, and we have her on anxiety medication, but that hasn't helped the peeing. Do we need to re-instate her crate? Block off a smaller area for her? Praise or punish in a different way? Any advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would try to give her less access to the house. perhaps a few well placed baby gates to give her just enough room to move about to not get bored, and small enough to make her want to keep it clean.

Do you have some music or the TV on for her, to make the house feel more like she is not all by herself?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If she is crate trained, I would just start putting her back in the crate to remind her that she does not go in the house when you are not there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts