Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is 13 years old and she has been diagnosed with adrenal tumor. Has anyone gone through this? I am looking for a holistic approach because I dont want her to go through surgery. thanks in advanced

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
My dog is 13 years old and she has been diagnosed with adrenal tumor. Has anyone gone through this? I am looking for a holistic approach because I dont want her to go through surgery. thanks in advanced

My dog has never had one, but I have. It's not a fun tumor, it caused me to have horrible hot flashes, my blood pressure to spike out of control, catecholamines to be produced indiscriminately, heart palpatations, and sever headaches among other things. It played hell with my quality of life and was very life threatening towards the end. Those types of tumors are not something to be played around with and I would not recommend fooling around with holisitc medicine and hope for the best.

If it's simply a tumor then removing the affected adrenal glad should be the end of it. If it's cancer then it's much more serious and surgery is much less likely to provide a cure. In humans most adrenal tumors are just tumors and it be cancerous is rare, I"m not sure if it's the same in dogs.

I'm sorry that your dog is going through such a hard time, and hope that he gets better.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I understand being hesitant to put a 13 year old dog through surgery, especially if your pet is already suffering from other health conditions or general old age. I would suggest finding an integrative veterinarian. These vets usually incorporate a mix of modern medicine, as well as holistic approaches depending on the patient, owner and condition being treated. They can help you figure out a treatment plan. It could be that surgery is your best bet, and your dog has a good chance of making a full recovery. Or it could be that the best option is using medications, herbs and diet to maintain quality of life as long as possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts