Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read someone's post about being scared before adopting because of the wait...I have just committed to adopting a little dog, probably chi mix, about a year old, and I am an absolute bundle of nerves. I've never adopted from a shelter before, and haven't housebroken an adult...and know that chis are notoriously bad at housebreaking. I visited this dog 3 times in three weeks, at adoption events and at the shelter. Volunteers report that he's always been clean in his crate, and will indicate he needs to go; his background is unknown of course, he could have some housetraining in his background...or not. I am now imagining every possible thing that could go wrong...chronic barking, housetraining disasters...chasing the cat...woke up in a cold sweat last night. I've never been so nervous about bringing a dog home, and think the long decision process (application, home visit, etc.) has made me crazy.

I'm not new to dogs, have owned one or two continuously for 35 years, have housebroken 5, but all puppies, trained in obedience and agility...so really, it's not like I don't have the tools. Someone reassure me, please! I'm supposed to pick him up Friday.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
You sound like you have enough experience! You'll be fine..

just be consistant from day one about everything. Once the dog falls into a routine she'll be fine. Treat her the same as a new puppy, most people say adults take longer to learn than a pup...but IME it depends on the induvidual dog. Som' of my adult dogs didn't need much help, some did. Nothing scary tho. :) :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Oh you'll be fine :) You'll be a fantastic home for him-congrats on your new addition!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Congratulations! We just got a foster on Sat. She's blind. My hubby was having second thoughts which of course made me have second thoughts about whether or not we could cope with a blind dog or not. And how would our 2 take to her? A million questions.

We got her Sat and I can't imagine being without her now. She fits right in and does her thing. My hubby is just delighted with her. She's such a Miss Priss.

But the point is...we were a bundle of nerves too! And all is ok. You will be too.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i adopted my dog a few months ago, my first rescue, and my first dog in a long time. i was a total wreck....the first week was tuff, but you know, now, it's like i've always had him.....you'll be fine, and if you have any questions, we'll be glad to help you out!

one thing tho...we always demand pictures :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks--will keep you updated

Thanks everyone, for your reassurance. I've reviewed the crate-training and housetraining guidelines, made plans for the first day, have taken two days off work so I can spend some time getting him settled, and have a shopping list for supplies I will pick up tonight. Wish me luck! I'll post pics as soon as I get them.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Can't wait-I'm so excited for you!

·
Registered
57 Posts
my husband got nervous about adopting our Stella. She was in a foster home down south....we adopted her based on her photo on petfinder...and the rescue's description of her as "sweet".

I was panicky on the day we brought her home, but all for nothing...she IS sweet...and smart, cute, well mannered.

You will be just fine!!! That's one lucky dog coming to you!!!!

Post photos!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
adoption nerves for nothing, he's GREAT!

Sorry for the lag in posting...I've been happily bonding with the new little guy. I brought "Radar" (now re-named Riley) home on Friday, and he's been as good as gold. Took him for a nice 20 minute walk right off, then popped him in the car, where he settled into the little dog bed I'd gotten him and went to sleep. We spent most of the day at the clay studio (I work in a communal studio) where he got cuddled by everyone, and then after getting home, he met the cat (which went pretty well, all things considered, Mau is a very dominant cat), explored a bit, and at 10:30pm, tucked himself into his crate, so I just shut the door. It turns out he's perfectly housebroken, he's not had even one accident!

He doesn't have any of the tiny dog idiosyncrasies that I feared (I've never owned a toy breed before)...no barking, very little whining, he's not timid, except when really startled by something, and seems very bright. I started clicker training on Saturday, and although at first he didn't like the clicker noise, he settled in after one or two sessions, and is now responding to his new name, "come," and we're working on "sit." I've never had such an easy transition, and it is such a JOY to have a dog to walk again!

I can't believe I hesitated about getting a shelter dog, and can't imagine how he ended up in the shelter...I got him from a no-kill organization who had rescued him from a local shelter where he was scheduled for euthanasia.

Will try and post pics later, I'm currently at my day job and don't have them loaded on this computer....Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to try and post some pics...
The shelter was calling him a chi-pom, but if anything, I'm thinking maybe a little terrier...look at those long legs.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can tell you this I adopted a dog 5 years ago that i recently lost and it is very rewarding and your doing something great for the dog.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts