Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you rescued your dog what was the adoption fee? Did you go to a shelter, rescue group, no kill etc. :)

From the local nokill (they waive the fee for senior dogs)
Scooter was $100 (already altered)
Emma was free (already altered)
Critter was free
Kiwi was $100 (already altered)

From the local kill shelter
Biscuit $40 (my cat, he was already fixed so they waived most of the fee :) )
Tippy $135
Chili $135

I don't really think about my dogs past, except with the ones that were already fixed...that means they did belong to som'one...they got them shots and altered them, why didn't they come looking for them? This idea breaks my heart.

I think I plan on adopting from the kill shelter from now on. :)

Iam glad microchipping is becoming the norm now.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Rupert (Rabbit, neutered, one bad leg-local HS)-25$

Chuck (Rabbit-neutered, one eye and no hearing-rabbit shelter one province away)-60$

Noot (Rabbit, neutered, senior)-free, fee waived from 50$ because I volunteered there

~On an aside, a rabbit neuter ranges from 100-200$ and a spay from 250-400$ ----so buying an unaltered rabbit for 50$ because it's a baby is a very costly choice~

Mikey-(dog, 2yrs, neutered, all shots, and one month boarding while we moved-from HS one province over)-230$ -80$ for four weeks boarding and 150$ adoption fee. (AND our vet exam here was free, our vet will support any shelter and gives free initial exams to any adopted pet! that's $75!)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
clover came from animal friends connection in lodi ca (foster group)
the fee was $125, he was altered, utd on shots, wormed and the fee included a voucher for a local vet for his first visit, my vet even accepted the voucher since i don't live in lodi!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Peyton came from the Mexico rescue for $100, already neutered and had first vaccine and dewormed way too much.

Tinkerbell came from the Humane Society $50, spayed and vaccinated

Wendy was free, she was on the streets lol

Glacier was $75 from a guy who was moving to a no pit bull city in another state.

Ferrets range from $50-100 (most the time $100 for a pair and supplies)

Steadman $35, cat from Humane Society and neutered.

Kitty was free, someone found him on the side of the road with his litter mates, mom was HBC.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Snowflake was $130. not fixed but couldnt come home till she was.
at our local shelter, its
$130. for unfixed female dog
$115. for unfixed male dog
$70. for fixed female or male dog
this includes spay or neuter if needed, chip, shots, city tag

·
Registered
275 Posts
Our was pregnant pony was a rescue. $3000.
that was 2 and a half years ago. still have both of them and always will

·
Registered
275 Posts
Oh, sorry, forgot the rest,
Cinderella (cat) was free from a farm
Princess Anora (cat) was free with all her bad health that is still rocketing the bills but we are getting her through.
the bunnies were bought, one $10. the other $20.
the hermit crabs were bought $5.99 each
the huge fish we have had for 4 years was bought at $20.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Scotty, purebred sheltie, came from a rescue group. He was $200 and that didn't even begin to cover his medical bills that rescue paid for. He was neutered before rescue had him. His first mama passed away.

Rascal, sheltie/pomeranian mix, was a stray picked up by the Humane Society. Got the senior discount for him so he was $90. He was already neutered when they got him.

Trouble and Little Bit, black and white kittens will be 1 this month, came from another Humane Society and were $100 each. HS neutered them and gave them baby shots.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow they're pricey lol.

We got Lola from a rescue centre (no-kill), she had been dumped on the side of the road at 5 weeks old :(, we got her the day after they found her. She came with a neutering voucher and was neutered at 6 months (free with the voucher, normally a spay costs about £100, but if you say that the owner is on benefits - we say my nanny who's a pensioner - it gets done for £20). We had to pay for vaccinations and she came de-wormed and de-flead but she was done again at the vets because she was 8 weeks before the vet was happy to vaccinate her because she was so weak when she first arrived :eek:. We got Lola in June 2007.

Then in the 1st week of January 2008 my dad went to get the car serviced. Polo was jumping all around him while he was talking to the mechanic and he said she was a lovely dog, just as general talk not really meaning anything. The mechanic said he could have her :eek:. So he put her in the boot of the car and took her home! Turns out she had been a Christmas puppy that they were fed up with a week later :rolls eyes:. She didn't even have a name, and the children seen daddy putting her in the car and never even asked where she was going :(. So she was free too.

Then on the 6th of April this year Charlie arrived at the gate. Polo was in heat and we think that's what got him here. The next day he was still hanging around the garden (Polo locked safely in pen :p) so mummy phoned round the area and we discovered he had been about for a week or so, but no-one owned him. We phoned the dog warden to see if anyone had reported him missing and were told no-one had so in 10 days, if no-one claimed him, he was officially ours!

So 10 days passed by and Charlie and Polo went off to get neutered. We got them both done for £20.

We never paid a penny for any of our dogs, but we had a pedigree GSD before (for 14 years) so knew that there was no such thing as a free dog :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Prince (9 month old Iggy x Terrier, neutered) was a requested donation, like $240 lol, all on my mom :D

the cat, however was a mandatory $200 (i think)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Billy was $37 from the local pound.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Bella was free, some guy posted ad for her since he was moving out of province.
Phoebe was $100, she's unaltered since they weren't sure if she could handle the surgery (she's 8)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I found our Stella on petfinder.com....she was listed by a local rescue, but was actually being fostered down in Louisiana where she was pulled from a high kill shelter.

the fee was $450....that included her transportation, shots, and neutering. Husband thought the fee was high, but I was o.k. with it. The money goes to help with the expenses of the adoption/fostering of all the dogs.

Stella was worth every penny!!!!!!

·
Registered
822 Posts
The rescue we got Teddy from just asked for a donation ... whatever price you thought was fair
as Teddy was already neutered by his previous family and microchipped by them , and had only been with the rescue for just over two weeks I offered £100 (around $159) and they were more than happy with that

Im also going to start sponsoring the rescue next month , maybe £20 a month , its not much but every little helps huh :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts