Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in a shelter puppy who is already 8 months old. I don't know anything about his history but he is described as "mellow yet playful, eager for your attention". I've been doing research on adopting from rescues and shelters and keep reading there is a very short window in early puppyhood when socializing is crucial. If this puppy wasn't properly socialized before 4 months old is it a bad idea to adopt him? Especially with 2 young (5 & 7) children in the house? Are there things I should look for upon meeting the puppy? Red flags? Things I should do with the puppy to "test" his temperament? Any tips and advice on adopting an older puppy with no history is much appreciated!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm interested in a shelter puppy who is already 8 months old. I don't know anything about his history but he is described as "mellow yet playful, eager for your attention". I've been doing research on adopting from rescues and shelters and keep reading there is a very short window in early puppyhood when socializing is crucial. If this puppy wasn't properly socialized before 4 months old is it a bad idea to adopt him? Especially with 2 young (5 & 7) children in the house? Are there things I should look for upon meeting the puppy? Red flags? Things I should do with the puppy to "test" his temperament? Any tips and advice on adopting an older puppy with no history is much appreciated!
What breed?
He may have been getting enough socialization but for whatever reason had to be surrendered. I wouldn't assume anything either way. I would focus more on what you see now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What breed?
He may have been getting enough socialization but for whatever reason had to be surrendered. I wouldn't assume anything either way. I would focus more on what you see now.
They say he's a Leonberger mix, nothing else, so I'm not sure. Someone else told me he looks more like an Estrela Mountain Dog which I totally agree with.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I would have your kids involved in a meet and greet, to see how everyone reacts to everyone else. There is never a guarantee, but that would at least give you some indication of the dogs reaction to your kids.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
A good idea might be to have a dog trainer come along. Red flags are fearful., avoidant, shut-down behavior around kids. Obvious red flags are growling, snapping, etcetera around kids. Thankfully, shelters really hate to see dogs come back to them with a rap sheet. They tend to be very judicious in selecting dogs suitable for a family with children.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts