Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so pretty soon I am getting an apartment with my boyfriend and a mutual friend and we have decided to adopt a second dog. I've super excited because I've been wanting a second dog for a while now but the last time I went to a shelter and adopted I got swept up in the process and ended up with a dog that was not right at all for my situation. So this time I'm trying to make a list of deal-breakers, pros and cons to take with me so I don't make a mistake again, and I figured this is the best way to get some advice and make the best guidelines for myself as possible!

Here are a few things that I'm looking for:

- I'd like a dog that I can groom, I'm going to school in January for dog grooming and I want a dog that I can experiment with different haircuts with.

-I'd like a dog that matches Bandit's energy style, he is a couch potato most of the time but with intense bursts of energy and will go until he drops.

-I'd like a dog around the same size as Bandit (20-35lbs), he loves to play and if the dog is too small I'm worried they might get hurt, because Bandit has terrible spacial awareness and will just tumble over anything in his way.

Things I don't want:

-NO DROOL, I seriously can't handle it

- I don't want a puppy, I'm not looking for that kind of training and intensity, but I am okay re-potty training an older dog

- I'd like to avoid dogs that are known to bark frequently, Bandit doesn't bark on his own, but if any other dogs start he will never stop and has a very loud bark so I'd really like to avoid it since we will be in an apartment.

~I'm sure I will end up with a mixed breed/mutt but I would love some suggestions of breeds that match up nicely and I'm really just looking for thoughts on what on my list is reasonable and what I'm missing or should take out so I can take a final list to the shelter with me.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Do you have any local poodle rescues? Maybe a miniature poodle rescue.

The one thing I really do recommend is getting into your new apartment, get settled, and get through all your training before you adopt another dog. You've got a lot of life changes coming up and might not be the best time to put a new dog into the mix as well.

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hadn't thought of a miniature poodle! I'm definitely going to take my time, I have to save up an adoption fee, the pet fee for my new apartment, and double my emergency vet savings to make sure Bandit and the new pup are covered so I'm looking at 2-4 months after I move in before I actually take the plunge. To be honest I'm also torn because I'm still in love with greyhound rescues, but it would be so helpful to have a dog at home that I can groom.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.