Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 3 dogs and was planning on getting a greyhound. I do quite a lot of agility and thought a greyhound would be a new challenge. However I found a site today with Podenco Andaluz (Ibizan Hounds) needing new homes. Instantly I was taken by one little girl in particular, and everytime I look onto the site feel really drawn to her. Trouble is . . . She's in Ibiza and I'm in Northern Ireland. The rescue organisation has not emailed me back yet (I just emailed to see if quarantine would be necessary if I was to take her), but it says on her page that she is ready to go to the UK in October/November 2009! This organisation is obviously geared towards rehoming here. All they ask is a 150 euro donation, and they will organise transport, blood tests, spaying and vaccinations. It sounds fantastic. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of rehoming a dog from overseas and how it went! Plus what do you think of this deal?
Emma

Edited to say: When I say what do you think of this deal I mean does it sound legitimate etc.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Not familiar with importing/exporting dogs in particular. Ibizans are pretty rare in the US...are they rare in europe? If so I'd be sceptical of the 150 euro donation, sounds a bit too good to be true. Thats about $200 US and ibizans sell for up to $2000 and there aren't really any around in rescue.

Don't know if that helps at all... :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I haven't imported a dog before so I'm likely no help. But if your concerned about the legitimacy of them-try googling for info/reviews on the shelter. Perhaps you can negotiate to pay a deposit and pay the rest after the dog arrives? There are scams at just about everything these days-so it pays to be cautious.

But otherwise-Good luck! I know that 'drawn' feeling you get with one pet, definitely had that myself a few times ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Criosphinx: Its seems that there are lots of these dogs in this area, there is a little bit on history of the breed and apparently they are often dumped etc when they are not any use for hunting (which they are primarily bred for).

Mikey: I would be hoping we'd be able to pay all the money when the dog arrives.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would I be allowed to post a link to the website so people could look at her? I don't want anybody stealing my dog (if I get my way it will be :p) though:ponder:.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've just got a special feeling about her lol. Beautifully marked. I got an automatic email from the rescue people saying that they are away until Tuesday but will reply then or something, just holding out until Tuesday now!

·
Registered
13 Posts
OMG! She is beautiful! Talk about being drawn in, not hard with her at all!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm taking the compliments people give her personally now :p. Wish this person would email back and go yes no problem she's yours. Something telling me it won't be that simple lol.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
She's GORGEOUS!!!

I have to say I cruised the site and my impression is that they seem ligitimate-they don't have 'donate' buttons all over, it seems they are concerned about welfare and doing things properly. Just my opinion though ;)

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got an email back saying that as they are used to the warm climate they needed to live indoors and as part of the family. And that they had no homecheckers available in NI and therefore could not rehome a dog here. I replied to say that my dogs shed is heated and that my Greyhound x wears a warm non-restrictive coat at night as she isn't to keen on the cold. I asked if a home check by a registered vet would suffice. Hopefully they haven't completely ruled us out :(.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got quite a rude email back saying that the dog had to live in the house as part of the family and that only people from within their network could do the homechecks. I suppose that's fair enough, but I would have thought they could be a bit flexible about the living in the house bit, there is a six month old baby in the house :confused:. They obviously aren't that desperate for homes? :ponder:

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I got quite a rude email back saying that the dog had to live in the house as part of the family and that only people from within their network could do the homechecks. I suppose that's fair enough, but I would have thought they could be a bit flexible about the living in the house bit, there is a six month old baby in the house :confused:. They obviously aren't that desperate for homes? :ponder:
don't know how it is where you are but here this is pretty standard for rescues...its impossible to adopt a dog as an outside dog...even from an animal shelter. :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh right, they're not so strict here. We got Lola from a rescue with no homecheck and they knew she was going outside :s. I think dogs can have a pretty good life outside too, ours do have a heated shed though :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts