Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted Foxy 4 months ago. She is the most traumatized dog I have ever encountered. The foster mom told me she sometimes crys when moving her bowels. She told me she had been checked by a vet, but nothing was found to explain the crys. She continued to cry out. I gave her a grooming and found horrible mating by her bum. I clipped and cleaned her up and thought maybe the matting was making it dificult for her to go. It wasn't that and then I noticed blood in her stools. Her stools had always been very hard, almost too hard, yet when I took her to the vet, she had diarrhea. I had brought in a stool sample prior to her appointment but results had not come in at the time of her appointment. They gave her a sanitary wash and clipped the fur around her bum. The vet gave me an anti diarrhea medicine, (metronidazole) and a worm medicine, (Panacur). I haven't given either medicine yet. I wanted to wait to see if she continued to have diarrhea, which she hasn't. I also wanted to wait for the results of her stool sample before giving her worm medicine. The results of her stool sample showed no worms. She is still crying out when going and there is blood in her stools. I called the vet's office and the receptionist told me to give her both medicines just the same. Now I am confused because I don't want her to have needless side effects. The receptionist said the medicines would help with any swelling, but I can't find any information backing that up. This is why I have come to you folks for help. Thanks, Linda

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
What Francl27 said.

Metronidazole is exceptionally good at calming the bowels, my pup had to use it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts