Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost two months ago me and my wife went out and adopted a shepherd puppy mix from our local shelter. He is up to date on his shots and just about 5 months old! Besides that, it's all we know about him.

His name is Buddy by the way!

Now, since owning him I've come across some very alarming behaviors of his, and as of right now I can't afford to bring him to the vet until probably September. (I've already spent around 900$ in vet bills) About 3 weeks ago Buddy went to get his final shots, a Lepto, Distemperment & Lime. The following day he was miserable and lethargic, he could barley pick himself up to get around.. Went to the vet & he had a fever of 105 so we got pain meds & antibiotics that we gave him for a week and everything returned to normal and our puppy was back. Last week my wife and I had our first child and had to take him to our local kennel for 2 days & nights, about 48 hours exact. After picking him up he was showing the same symptoms as before and was not himself at all so back to the vet we go. We have now be given more pain meds (fever of 102.5) and more antibiotics, this time for a total of two weeks instead of two.

I guess my question is what is causing these issues, is it stress or an underlying condition? The vet wants to check him for Addison's but at this time I can't afford the exams. I also wanted to get second opinions.

Also, after receiving him from the kennel he would make repeated attempts to urinate without success. I gave him & he drank a full 24oz of water and was able to pee. I have only seen him try to pee again once without success once since then, around 3 days ago. I asked the vet about UTI but he seemed to think it wasn't the case and shrugged it off, but told me the antibiotics would cover it if it was.

Sorry for the long dragged out post, just trying to give all of the information that I can! I hope someone has some answers and is able to help me get Buddy into better shape! He is doing 100% right now but I feel like it could change at any moment..

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I'm really sorry he's had these bouts of illness. I don't believe anyone can diagnose him very accurately on the internet. Any advice you receive would be pure speculation and might lead you down the wrong path. I'm sure you realize that and are feeling desperate but bad veterinary advice from non veterinarians is worse than no advice, in my opinion.

Have you considered Care Credit in case he becomes ill again? There is also a thread somewhere on this forum about getting help with veterinary costs.

Good luck and I hope he doesn't become ill again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that nobody can give me an accurate diagnoses over the net, and I trust me Vet it's simply that I've put to much cash into him this month and his visits will have to go on hold for the next month or two. Right now he is perfect, almost seems to have to much energy so I'm not worried on an immediate cure.

The first onset of issues started after his last set of shots, the second after being put into a boarding kennel for two days. It seems to be stress that's sparking the issues with him, and right now me & my wife are settled so stress should be easy to keep away. He is such a perfect & smart puppy. Potty trained, knows when to come, loves his crate, knows to speak to go out, lay down & much more. Don't even have to worry about him going near the road, I could force him to get within 200 yards if I wanted (literally)

Anyways, just looking for anyone else who may have experience these problems after a dog has gone through a stressful situation. No matter what I find out on here he'll still be seeing his vet when I can afford it, he's the best pup I've ever owned at 5 mo. old!

Edit:: I'll get on and post some pics of him tomorrow! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.