Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Congrats for your great forum - this is my first ever post :)

a friend was kind enough to adopt her but the problem is the dog dont want go out of the house for a walk , even when he is trying to tempt it with her favourite snacks. Maybe the dog is scared that he wants to sent her out for ever again? Please forgive my bad english. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Hi, and welcome.
Could you provide more information? We would need breed, age, what circumstances the dog came from.

There are ace members here that can help with just about any situation.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i ve got news. The dog is 7 months old. Was born and lived up till now outside... My friend adopted it 2 weeks ago. Please advise as this is his first dog, he really loves it but the dog simply wont follow him outside the house, any advise would be greatly apprecieted!

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
When I first got both my aussie Sofie she did not want to go outside, she wanted to hide in my room all day. I put the leash on her and just got her to come out of my closet. When she did I praised her and gave her a treat. Every time she went just a little further she got a treat. If she took a few steps back, I waited patiently with her and praised her when she came back. Eventually we moved out of my room into the hall and then back outside.

Moving to a new environment can be absolutely terrifying for a dog and some it will take longer for them to adjust. Is your friend's house by a busy road? Is it loud? I know that can certainly make a dog anxious.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Its all strange and new for the dog and he is still just a pup , once he gains in confidence he will go out , its just going to take time and patience

As has been suggested use treats to get the dog moving to the desired area .... start small and take baby steps , once the dog is happy moving to one area move a little closer to the front door , not by much , and once he is comfy with that move closer to the door again
Once he is moving outside keep the distance moved small , say halfway to the gate if you have a front garden ... but if the dog shows signs of distress you have rushed him and will need to go back a couple of steps in the process just to keep him gaining confidence

this process could take weeks but in the end your friend will have a happy confident dog who loves going for walks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts