Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a homemaker. I love taking care of anybody important to me. I decided a few weeks ago I wanted a dog although my fiance didn't really think it was a good idea. I convinced him that adopting a dog from the shelter would be good for us as much as the dog. So, we adopted nix.
We have had her for three weeks now. She is a lab pit mix, 5 years of age.
Two weeks in, she started having clusters of grandma seizures, so she is on phenobarbital. This has made house breaking harder than usual. We take her outside constantly and she doesn't want to go outside. When she does go outside, we give treats and scratches and tell her she is a good girl but it doesn't seem to do any good. She sleeps in a crate next to our bed at night and she just whines and screams all night but we can't let her out because she will go potty everywhere. She wakes us up at 5am, we let her out and she won't go. We take her out constantly but she will go in her crate or on the carpet. I need help. I haven't gotten a full night sleep since we have gotten her and my house smells like a dumpster.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Have y'all had her tested for UTI, along with bladder and kidney infection, and diabetes?

All of those will affect housetraining, and make it next to impossible to get the dog trained. So first get them ruled out, then you are going to have to treat her like you would a very young puppy.

Put her on a potty schedule, for adult dogs I recommend giving them around 2 hours between potty breaks, reward her with extra yummy treats whenever she potties outside. The treat needs to be given just when she finishes pottying. If she potties outside she gets free time in the house before taking her out to potty again. Use your judgement for that last part you know her best and may find that she can have more free time without having an accident, or she may need less. After the free time is up take her out for her next potty break and if she goes she gets more free time, if she doesn't then you need to confine her.

When she does not potty it's time to confine her, you can crate her, put her in an exercise pen (if she doesn't jump out!), tether her to you, or put her in a small room like the bathroom. Wait 5 to 20 minutes (depends on how long it's been since she last pottied) then take her out again. Rinse and repeat till she finally goes outside. Once she finally potties then she gets her treat and free time in the house.

Clean all accidents with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Out! .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts