Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been around for a long, long time. My previous BFF dog, Cobber, just passed a couple months ago at age 7 from very aggressive cancer. I am still devastated by that loss and continue to cry every day because my heart is so broken, although not all day like in the beginning. Anyway, to my total surprise, I started thinking about getting another dog because the house is just so empty, and while I just want Cobber back, I know it's impossible. So I thought sharing my home with another dog would help me and also help the new dog... maybe. I signed up with a local rescue and jumped through all their hoops (3 interviews, house inspection, vet checks, etc). Every step of the way, I stressed that I was looking for a Senior dog (since I won't have those years with Cobber now) and a low-energy dog (I'm not getting any younger or stronger and my balance sucks...). Somehow, in spite of my constant repetition about those 2 points, the rescue folks kept pushing me toward the dog I have now. I acknowledge it was 100% my decision in the end to bring her home, but I still feel a tiny bit resentful that they apparently weren't listening very well to me. Enter Peaches, 4 yrs old and pretty darn high energy (aussie cattle dog mix). She's very sweet, walks beautifully on a leash, weighs about 40 lbs, seems interested in my cats but not in a harmful way. However, the foster and rescue folks kept assuring me of her really low and "chill" energy ("she just sleeps all the time!" said the foster family). Well, it turns out she was sick! So, yeah, she slept a lot while with them. But now she's healthy, and she has energy!

Ok, that's where we are. Here's where I could use help because I haven't done any dog training in years, not since Cobber was a pup 7 years ago. When Peaches and I are in the yard, there's no interest in fetch, toys, tug, etc. The only time I see her get actively happy is when she's running around me, then jumping on me and often slamming into me. Needless to say, that's not my kind of play. But when I either say "no" or make the "ah! ah! ah!" noise to stop that behavior, she just sort of wilts, sits down, and stops looking happy at all. Oh, the other thing that makes her really happy is to steal something and then play keep-away with it and me. I can manage the stealing/keep-away problem by puppy-proofing so she just can't get those things. However, I'm trying to figure out how to play with her without continuing to get slammed and scratched. There has to be a way to play so that she's happy but I'm not injured - LOL!

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2,791 Posts
Maybe she doesn't know things like fetch? You might need to train that. Or would she engage with a flirt pole to have fun without injuring you? And maybe also do a bit of training in impulse control - which would be helpful in all sorts of situations anyway.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhhh, the flirt pole! I had almost forgotten all the hours I spent with one and Cobber as a puppy (I used to refer to him as the "shark-toothed demon spawn from hell" ... in a very loving way, of course 😁) Yes, I will definitely see if Peaches might be interested in one. Thanks for the idea!
And for the video!

·
Registered
1 Posts
You could also play "2 ball" whatever toy she likes get an identical one. Then when she tries to play keep away show her you have another toy and try to keep trading back and forth for the toys 🙂

·
Registered
298 Posts
Try hiding treats and smelly toys in boxes or worked up in old towels to use up some mental energy. ACD mixes will be clever so they thrive on challenges. Also use the type of puzzle toys that require them to move something to find the treat. Also I found an old kids tunnel and trained my ACD to run through it. If they like this they won’t be knocking you over!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts