Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2yr old Rottweiler and she had been a chain dog her whole life. She had only been inside on a few occasions. Every morning when I wake up there are at least 3 puddles of pee. It does not matter if I let her out before bed and get up in the middle of the night to let her out there is still pee on the floor. Once we were outside for at least an hour and she peed multiple times and a half hour later she peed on the floor. I need help and ideas.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Set an alarm every 2 hours throughout the day and night. That's what we had to do with Cosmo when he was a puppy, except at night we did every 3/4 hours but he was crate trained. If your dog is crate trained or the crate doesn't cause her too much stress initially, I'd be putting her there at night as it's unlikely a dog will mess in their space unless they're sick or actually can't hold it.

I'd also visit a vet to have a full exam to check for a UTI.

Clearly she wasn't potty trained so she has no idea the boundaries of inside:eek:utside potty areas.

Use a non ammonia based cleaner to clean the spots as ammonia mimics the smell of pee and dogs are a creature of habit - she will continue going in that spot if it smells like her own pee.

Good luck and stay resilient! Count your blessing that potty training is the only issue thus far - my friend adopted an old shelter dog just two nights ago with a dislocated hip. He doesn't have the heart to send her back so the vet bills are already piling in.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
don't get agry at her... it's not like she knows, that she's doing something wrong.
just plan in a walk every 2 hours day and night, she'll perhaps need a bit longer but I'm sure she'll learn it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts