Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seriously need to hear from someone that the "adolescent phase" will end at some point!! My dog (almost 7 months) is a mutt (maybe beagle Pitt cross??) and is a total love when she's not a total spazz. But she spends A LOT of the day being a major pain in the butt. She is only 20 lbs so is CONSTANTLY standing on her hind legs to get things off any table. Sometimes she actually jumps on the table. I keep tables cleared as much as possible, but that's not always an option with family life happening and all. She steals shoes constantly (they are put on the shoe shelf, but she takes them out, I literally do not have a closet). I take her for multiple walks/runs and she still has so much energy!! We are in training classes and practice obedience daily. She is quick to learn what we cover in class, but nothing stops the table surfing and shoe eating. My last dog was a lazy bulldog, so this much energy is foreign to me. I fear I will have to spend the next 15 years constantly watching and correcting this dog! I just need to hear some "it gets better" stories before I lose my mind! TIA!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
161 Posts
It does get better. Something that helps a lot is teaching your dog how to settle on her own so that when you aren't actively doing something with her, she is nice and calm. My own dog was very high energy when I adopted her from the shelter, but now she's very sweet. She's a terrier mix.

I got her at a little less than a year old (anywhere from 10 months to 1 year old). She's around a year and a half now (I've had her six months), so she's definitely maturing mentally a lot more, too.

We used positive training methods with her, which focuses on teaching her what to do instead of correcting her over and over again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts