Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adolescent Brittany Sudden Jumping and Nipping (Mitten Attacks!)

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  TruckersMom 
#1 ·
Hello all!

Our 15 month old Brittany, Junot, has started back up on an old behaviour of his from puppyhood - attacking our mittens (and then coats, sleeves, hoods - he's got quite the vertical leap) when on or off leash. He's not an aggressive dog and has never drawn blood or bitten to the point of actual pain, but once he gets started he can get pretty frantic and insistent about it. It's very hard to snap him out of it. My younger sisters walk him after school and they struggle to contain him if he starts going after their mittens - sometimes they will instinctively try to bat him off and push him away, which only makes him crazier.

The best approach we've found is to simply step on the leash and 'be a tree' until he calms down - this often has to happen several times per walk before he gets the point and stops trying. When he's off leash however, it's a lot more difficult to control - and as young Brittany, he needs the off leash exercise time. He won't do this in the house or to any indoor/summer clothing.

Any ideas on a) prevention b) calming him down once he starts and c) stopping the behaviour off leash?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a dog that "hates" gloves. I just tent to use hot hands as not to cause the issue. He also always wears his harness on off-leash time so I can either quickly leash him or use the handle to walk him to another isolated place until he calms down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.