Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dog is 13 months old. He is a mastiff mix, we got him from a rescue and don't know what other breeds he is. I only know he must be a high energy breed...and with his age, he has SUPER high energy. It seems he's got more energy now since he's reached one year. My husband is out of town for the week, and I feel overwhelmed.

He gets tons of exercise and mental stimulation; we do training and tricks. He goes to agility and rally classes. Today, I took him to the local swimming pool and he swam for one hour. After that, I took him for a walk. Apparently, that was not enough for him as he is running around the house at midnight while I am trying to relax. I heard him go out to the yard (we have a doggy door) and start barking, so I had to rush out and stop him a couple times. He only does this if he's not pooped enough at the end of the day. So, it is midnight now and instead of reading the book I planned, I am playing flirt pole with him in my pyjamas, Lol. It's only been a few days of managing him by myself, but I feel so tired at the end of the day....not to mention I have other things to take care of in my life that are non-dog related (but is being neglected!).

I'm also feeling deflated because I have been training and training him to ignore dogs (he just loves to play!). He is still obsessed with playing with dogs, and I was hoping he would be better about it by now. Yesterday, I took him to a new clinic to get his nails trimmed. While waiting in the lobby, there was another dog also waiting and my dog was whining the ENTIRE time because I wouldn't let him meet the other dog and making him stay in place. I brought treats and tried to do some focus exercises, but apparently he didn't like the treats enough. The experience was embarassing, as everyone in the waiting room had to listen to him whine like I was trying to hurt him.

Guess my question is...for all those going/ have gone through the adolescent stage, is there light at the end of the tunnel? What are your experiences? When did it end for you? I need some cheering up.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I would welcome the company of other dogs, playing with them might help him.
I think any dog will develop behaviors of you stay up late and play with them, to make sure that continues to happen.
At one year he should be able to accept that night and crate time comes at a certain time and that at that time he needs to go in his crate and maybe enjoy a special treat.
I think that taking the time to encourage and expect that behavior in the evening is time well spent, but you will probably have to ignore some protests at first because he has gotten used to having his playtime whenever he wants it.
Good luck, he sounds like a great dog but a bit of a handful right now.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would welcome the company of other dogs, playing with them might help him.
Thanks, but yes, he already does play plenty with other dogs (in fact, this may lead to the problem of him being able to ignore dogs when I want him to). And he was in the swimming pool with other dogs today.

I don't normally play with him late in the evenings...it was more of the exception because he was outside barking and I needed to wear him out.

Any adolescent stories appreciated.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I know it's common advice to just tire the dog out to calm him, but in my opinion that just makes him sleep longer. I think in addition to tiring him out, you need to actively capture and reinforce calmness.

There's a whole sticky on capturing calmness. One of the most useful things I've found to get my dog to be calm in the house is this two week training plan right here. The pdf link is at the bottom.

https://paws4udogs.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/relax-already-how-to-condition-a-relaxed-response/

Of course my dog is 15 months old and going through his own terrible stage. But at least I have seen improvements on getting him to be calm in the home.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I was lucky and Chess never really had an adolescent phase. But Echo did! It was extremely short lived, but annoying. She had been able to be left loose in the house for over 6 months, with no accidents and never touched one thing. But all of a sudden she destroyed everything in my purse and on the floor of my room. I mean grabbed every single thing and shredded them to bits, from face wipes to makeup to headphones and a magazine. She never even did that as a puppy!! She also had 2 accidents in the house(not many I know, but she hadn't had even one accident in almost a year) in 2 weeks. For about 3 weeks she would snatch everything she could get her mouth on when my back was turned even for a second, and I had to start crating her again. Again, even as a puppy she never did that, so it was really aggravating. But after that 3 weeks, she went back to normal and hasn't chewed anything or had an accident since!!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You will never "wear" a dog out. You need to teach the dog to settle down in a crate or on a mat. Playtime should be when you want it, not when the dog does.
It is a little harder when you did not raise the dog but can be done if you persevere.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You will never "wear" a dog out. You need to teach the dog to settle down in a crate or on a mat. Playtime should be when you want it, not when the dog does.
It is a little harder when you did not raise the dog but can be done if you persevere.
I would agree with this. If your dog is acting like a nut any time of the day, in the crate they go! There is play....and then there is over the line amount of play.

When my guy was 4months-1 year he had a lot of energy, but I took him on a 20 minute walk twice a day and sometimes to a dog park (when it was empty). I don't have a yard and he is a medium energy dog. He just picked up on my energy habits. He grew to notice that I would sit on the couch around 6pm and watch tv. If he kept pestering me or acting wild, into his crate he would go until he settled down.

Once he settled down, he could come out. He got the picture, he would grab a bone and lay by me while I watched tv. Make sure you have toys/bones that your dog can't break. Menards sells some good strong bones for a good price. One thing you generally have to teach a dog is how to entertain them self in a healthy manner or else they will rely on you to do it all the time.

My dog is 1.5 years now....no energy issues. He knows when it is play time, walk time, etc. and he lays down when I sit down. Perhaps you should try creating a schedule with your dog? Maybe there is some play time/fetch/tug of war after a meal and potty. Try to make play time predictable so your dog can expect when plan time is coming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts