Dog Forum banner

Addition to NexGuard?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Laco 
#1 ·
My 6.5-month-old puppy is taking NexGuard as a flea and tick prevention, but I keep seeing bite marks on her belly. Is there anything that I could give her in addition that would prevent the bites?

#4 ·
Fleas need a host animal to live, so if your dog keeps getting bites, so if you think they are not in your house, your dog must be coming into contact with another animal who has them. Do other animals share the yard with her? If so, they would all need to be treated to stop the fleas just repeating their life cycle - if you can kill off the fleas, that would be more effective than most repellants

#7 ·
It might not be fleas causing the bites. If you are taking her hiking, or different places with high grass or sand, and she's laying down, she may be being bitten by bugs there.

NexGard does not repel fleas, but will kill them within 4 hours of them being on the dog, unless your dog found a pile of fleas I really don't think that's what's causing the bites you are seeing on her belly.

If you want something to repel fleas you'll likely have to wait for the month to be up on the NexGard and switch her to Advantix II. It not only repels fleas but also repels ticks, biting flies, and chewing lice. The drawback is it is a topical so it's a bit messy and to me at least it stinks.

Reactions: SusanLynn
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.