Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just got a dog back pack for Sawyer, it his first time wearing one and my first time using one. I am working on some ccing with him on it since he's a little freaked out when I go to put it on. But he's getting more comfortable with it.
So far ive put it on him a few times (empty) to help get him used to the feeling of it. He doesn't seem to mind walking with it on when we get going, which is good.
I was wondering what's the best way to introduce weight into the backpack for him? especially because he's a bit unsure of it. Should I try to keep it even on both sides until he's more used to it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would start with sometime light but heavy enough so he can feel it.

What I would use is:
pens, pencils, glue sticks, etc.
half full waterbottle
full waterbottle
small camera
bones
toys

·
Registered
292 Posts
When I got one for my old Rottie/Shep I was surprised at how little weight he could take before he looked uncomfortable toting his food, water, etc...
I would definitely suggest keeping the weight balanced as best as possible and you will know if your dog is struggling even a little. I would also start off the same as a dog pulling weight...little at a time. Small water bottle on both sides should be a good starting point. I think some dogs will be better than others as I have seen some take packs famously, but my dog, even though he was a monster could not handle a pack for some reason.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts