Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there! We got our Todd last year, he is a rough collie/aussie mix. He is 50lbs of leg and love. He has yet to meet a person or dog he doesn't like and he's always the first one to greet you. He is also too intelligent for his own good.

We live on a farm and we recently decided to add a second dog to the mix. This one is going to be 3/4 border collie and 1/4 kelpie. If parents are any indication he should smaller in stature and slightly lighter in weight.

So my question is, we will be getting our puppy on valentine's day and he is obviously going to be MUCH smaller than Todd. I know Todd is just going to go bonkers and want to play with this new friend 24/7. I realize we will need to monitor the pair whenever they are together but I am still worried about accidentally playing with the puppy too hard, and injuring or gosh forbid even killing him on accident.

Am I too much of a worry bug over this? Or is it a valid concern? Any tips/tricks or advice? I will probably be bringing the puppy to work with me for 1/2 days at first throughout the week as I work at as a recept at the vet clinic but they can't be separated forever.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think it's a valid concern, but not anything you have to be crazy worried about. When my puppy was very small I monitored play and made sure to stop my adult dog if he got too wild and could potentially hurt her. But most adults will handicap their play for very little puppies so it's not that much of an issue.

·
Registered
951 Posts
You are worrying too much about this. The chance of a dog who is friendly with other dogs interacting badly with the puppy is extremely low.

A dog that might be potentially territorial, defensive, etc, that's different than a dog that just wants to play. Even when a puppy has a dog that wants to play and play the puppy will wear out and just flop on the ground and go to sleep. It won't harm the pup, as long as the play isn't too rough.

Now, keep in mind, it's still going to be in the best interest to control how much time they spend interacting with each other. It will be easier to train and interact with the pup if you are it's main focus which can be hard if it's attention is more drawn to his playmate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts