Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not ready now, still dealing with puppy madness, but I research a lot (2 years for my current guy) and I'm ready to start at least the process of a second. Currently my Dogo Argentino (David Bowie) is 9mo old. He is, as you suspected, a male. My current leanings, in no particular order, are Cane Corso, Fila, puli, and Boston Terrior....... Yeah, quite different. I'm thinking whatever I go with, it should be female right? Although I just prefer male dogs, I don't want dominance issues. I know people have multiple males all the time, would going Puli/Boston make that an easier match if I got a male, or should I just avoid a male?Thanks

·
Registered
662 Posts
Are you planning to have the dogs neutered? if yes I don't think male/male will be any harder than male/female.

Both times I've had 2 dogs in the house its been 2 females- I had some issues with my first pair but I think I'd have had problems with any pairing because the older dog had issues with dog aggression before we added a second.

If for some reason you're not planning to alter the dogs I think you'll have issues either way (ie, 2 unaltered males are more likely to have issues sharing space, and an unaltered male and female are going to be annoying to manage when the female is in heat).

I say if you want another male get another male.

I don't have any experience with Pulis, but having had 2 Bostons I can definitely say don't expect them to be easy to manage because they're physically smaller. I have never seen a breed less aware of their size- watch how bostons play with larger dogs and you'll see what I mean, they are the most rough and tumble little dogs I have ever seen, both bostons I've had (both females, spayed at 6 months) have been very bitey in play, often latching on to other dogs' cheeks and throats.

I don't know about the activity level of the other 3 breeds you mentioned, from what I remember dogo argentino's tend to be fairly active though, so my guess is a dogo and a boston is going to be a whirlwind of excitement- fun, but loud and chaotic, but at least there would only be 1 large dog prone to knocking things over.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess my other concern is large dog and small dog. My dog currently loves other dogs, and even if that doesn't change, he could accidentally hurt a smaller dog. Bostons are on the list for being tough little guys, but that doesn't mean I want him tortured and tormented.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You will definitely need to supervise them. We had that problem with both pairings, the first time it was the new puppy that was bigger, which was harder because she wasn't used to the house rules and was full of energy, the second Boston she had calmed down and listened to us when we told her to play gentler (she's a very smart dog and knows the command "gentle" means stop playing like that or you two are going to lose your toy).

You will definitely have to be prepared to give frequent time outs while the two dogs learn their boundaries, but plenty of people have one large dog and one small dog. Personally I quite like having different sized dogs because it makes really rough play much less destructive. If both my dogs were 40+lbs they wouldn't be able to play the way they do without destroying the house.

When are you planning on adding the second puppy? I would highly suggest waiting until your current boy has outgrown the puppy stages, it will make training the new pup much easier and make playtime less stressful.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well. I did it, or at least it sorta just "happened". I rescued a 3-year old (or so) male chihuahua from a pretty bad situation. They get along great, sleep next to each other (when I am there and they aren't in crates) and only issue is when my Dogo puppy wants to play, the chihuahua barks at him. He has already chosen my daughter as his favorite. It's been a week or so. He took his first ever walk on leash, after having his first ever collar. He walks on leash great, and we have done it 3 times in the week or so I have had him. One walk was about 3 miles and he was pretty tired afterwards. He is taking to raw food, but isn't a big bone chewer. I was told he would pee/poop everywhere, but if you ACTUALLY TAKE HIM OUTSIDE that clearly isn't the case. He is fine indoors, and actually has his first cage and he likes to go in it with the door open and rest. Again, I was told he wouldn't go in a cage......

He was basically treated like a toy and neglected. He will do fine now. I have vet visits and a license etc. Kids love him,Mao he can stay I guess!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts