Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I accidentally washed my dog after giving her a flea treatment approximately 3 hours ago (the liquid kind that is applied between the shoulders and absorbs into skin). UGH I am so upset, what should i do?
It says to reapply again in 21 days, what happens if I reapplied again in the same day?
(I did not use shampoo on her, just warm water)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I would wait at least two weeks, before re-applying, unless you talk to your Vet and he or she clears re-applying sooner.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, i read the pamphlet and it says : ""Bathing or shampooing a dog 2 or more hours after treatment will not reduce the effectiveness of Revolution against fleas or heartworms"

I guess i am safe?

·
Registered
745 Posts
You are better to do nothing rather than risk an overdose of that stuff because that would be bad for your dog. They can have reactions to it. If it was just water and it sais that on the packet, it will have already absorbed & spread. If its reduced the effectiveness it will probably just shorten the length of time it works. Just keep checking for fleas & you will know. Not sure of the climate, but here fleas love summer & dissapear in winter so that is something to consider. I never use any chemical ones if thats reassuring, only essential oils & never had a flea prob. If you would like to read previous posts on this subject do a search using the search button at the top & click all posts & then the subject.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Don't know where you are located, but even here in Southern California, this years flea season is winding down. I usually can get away with no treatment between November and April or so, depending. We do sometimes have a heat wave during the winter, and the **&*%%$# fleas will hatch when I think they shouldn't. Guess they didn't read the memo!!!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are better to do nothing rather than risk an overdose of that stuff because that would be bad for your dog. They can have reactions to it. If it was just water and it sais that on the packet, it will have already absorbed & spread. If its reduced the effectiveness it will probably just shorten the length of time it works. Just keep checking for fleas & you will know. Not sure of the climate, but here fleas love summer & dissapear in winter so that is something to consider. I never use any chemical ones if thats reassuring, only essential oils & never had a flea prob. If you would like to read previous posts on this subject do a search using the search button at the top & click all posts & then the subject.
Hi there, thank you for the response. My doggy doesn't have fleas or ticks, the vet recommended it to me because of her ear mites =[

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know where you are located, but even here in Southern California, this years flea season is winding down. I usually can get away with no treatment between November and April or so, depending. We do sometimes have a heat wave during the winter, and the **&*%%$# fleas will hatch when I think they shouldn't. Guess they didn't read the memo!!!!!!
I'm in California too!! Yeah I am hoping for her ear mites to go away so bad because she is really scratching her ears a lot and it's scaring me =[

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
You might want to talk to your Vet re: the ear mites. Don't think they will go away on their own, and it could lead to a serious ear infection. You could probably call or email your Vet and possibly avoid a trip to the Vet's office. Worth a call.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might want to talk to your Vet re: the ear mites. Don't think they will go away on their own, and it could lead to a serious ear infection. You could probably call or email your Vet and possibly avoid a trip to the Vet's office. Worth a call.
The vet prescribed revolution which is what i put on my puppy. I brought her to the vet yesterday and they took a sample of her ear and that was when the yeast and mites were discovered. Thats why i freaked out when i accidentally washed her (she pooed and rolled in it, so i had no choice :(

but today i called vet and she said it should be fine

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ok great, you can scrape the pulp out of the aloe vera plant, whiz it up & rub it in the dogs ears, (slow & gently) just a couple of drops morning & night will releive some of the itching & help heal. Also file your dogs back toenails so they're nice & smooth, if you hav'nt. They can do real damage to their ears otherwise & they get cuts in their ears which bleed. The aloe will help heal those & any bites the mites have taken. Even some dog socks might be good. There's a technique for massaging their ears my vet showed me, right after you put the drops in you massage the bottom part of the ear around the base -back part between your thumb & the finger next to it. My dog loves it & leans in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok great, you can scrape the pulp out of the aloe vera plant, whiz it up & rub it in the dogs ears, (slow & gently) just a couple of drops morning & night will releive some of the itching & help heal. Also file your dogs back toenails so they're nice & smooth, if you hav'nt. They can do real damage to their ears otherwise & they get cuts in their ears which bleed. The aloe will help heal those & any bites the mites have taken. Even some dog socks might be good. There's a technique for massaging their ears my vet showed me, right after you put the drops in you massage the bottom part of the ear around the base -back part between your thumb & the finger next to it. My dog loves it & leans in.
I've seen some of your posts on the forum, your knowledge and wisdom on dog training and behavior is amazing! Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
745 Posts
oh thank you!! that really means alot to me ? thanx. Also if the dog socks fly off in a scratching fit, you can put some sticky tape from the first aid kit over & around the sock, so its a wee bit tighter than the sock near the top. That tapes good coz its thick & durable & less likely to be chewed off. Also better than them poss choking on sello or tape thats plasticy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts