Dog Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I haven’t lectured you. You asked for opinions and I shared mine? Can you explain what extra input and judgement I’ve brought up? And what things have I said that is not true? You came for opinions on which option to choose. I gave you mine. Why would you complain over that? I brought up all the different pros and cons for the two options you faced, to help you make the decision.
I don't see any non civil wording on either side, its a discussion.

·
Super Moderator
3,730 Posts
Sunflower, I will send you a PM.

Pezzy12 - I'd like your thread to return to its original question.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sunflower, I will send you a PM.

Pezzy12 - I'd like your thread to return to its original question.
Thats what I wanted too. And that is why I was getting frustrated because all this extra input was getting shoved at me without answering the original question. Thank you for stepping in

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
My opinion would be to wait and see if she is pregnant. A six month old can be fertile but even if he is, it is not like you will have a huge litter from a Chihuahua. Good luck either way and as long as you are careful when she comes back in season there would not really been a need to spay her. It is only an inconvenience twice a year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My opinion would be to wait and see if she is pregnant. A six month old can be fertile but even if he is, it is not like you will have a huge litter from a Chihuahua. Good luck either way and as long as you are careful when she comes back in season there would not really been a need to spay her. It is only an inconvenience twice a year.
Thank you for your input! Yes I'm praying she is not pregnant however her nipples are very large, larger then they were when she was in heat...so I think she is :( If she isn't pregnant I will be EXTRA careful next cycle

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
If she isn't pregnant it might be worth considering spaying her before her next cycle rather than being ”extra careful” next time, or you will face the same situation regularly. Apart from the pregnancy risk, you also eliminate the risk of pyometra.

You asked for opinions; it's fine that you don't agree with those that have been given - that's how these things work. Sorry we disappointed you so far, perhaps someone else will have a suggestion you find more aligned with what you want.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If she isn't pregnant it might be worth considering spaying her before her next cycle rather than being ”extra careful” next time, or you will face the same situation regularly. Apart from the pregnancy risk, you also eliminate the risk of pyometra.

You asked for opinions; it's fine that you don't agree with those that have been given - that's how these things work. Sorry we disappointed you so far, perhaps someone else will have a suggestion you find more aligned with what you want.
No thats totally fine. You're right I wanted opinions about the original question! I didn't like feeling attacked with judgement which is what was happening previously. all is well now another moderator stepped in

·
Super Moderator
3,730 Posts
Reading through this thread, I have to say that I agree with JoanneF. Yes, I realize that you live in a remote part of the country, but administering Alizin would be the ideal solution. It would be the easiest on your dog. My second choice would be Kiara1125's solution - to do the spay and abort. Your dog is awfully small to be giving birth. Lastly, I put a pause on this thread because I didn't want to see it escalate into a war of words. Nevertheless, Sunflower makes a valid point about how unplanned litters contribute to an overpopulation of dogs. That may not be the case in your part of the country, but where I live (Southern California), literally thousands of dogs are caged in kennels in our country and city shelters at this very moment. So those are some factors to consider.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are not talking about a routine spay, which has health consequences itself. You are talking about taking the lives of up approximately five puppies. That is horrible! I can't believe anybody would recommend you do this or that vets even practice such things! Let the puppies be born and then take her in for an ovary sparing spay. Ovary-sparing spay may be a way to have one’s cake and eat it too: a way to spay female dogs (thus addressing population concerns), without the negative health impacts from hormone loss.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Personally, I would spay abort. There's no need for accidental puppies in this world that weren't purposefully bred for work or show.
You are not talking about a routine spay, which has health consequences itself. You are talking about taking the lives of up approximately five puppies. That is horrible! I can't believe anybody would recommend you do this or that vets even practice such things! Let the puppies be born and then take her in for an ovary sparing spay. Ovary-sparing spay may be a way to have one’s cake and eat it too: a way to spay female dogs (thus addressing population concerns), without the negative health impacts from hormone loss.
Yes you are right its horrible, but if it comes down to it...I would rather kill unborn very teeny not yet developed puppies then lose my dog....

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
What you need to take into consideration is the fact that if they did a C-section it would likely be on an emergency basis, meaning your girl would be having some sort of major problem with delivering her pups. That C-Section might be a bit more risky then doing a spay - abort. She's tiny and they are already worried about having her under anesthesia, you'll be adding the stress of delivery to the mix.

There's no simple answer here, but I do know that once she progresses a little further in the pregnancy you are not going to have a choice but to let her finish it, and you'd better pray that she has a relatively large litter and not one or two pups, because if it is one or two pups they will grow larger and be more likely to require a c-section in order to deliver them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The thing about producing more puppies is that an equivalent number of potential homes don't suddenly appear. So if you manage to find good homes for all the pups, there will be other dogs who will remain in rescue, or run out of time at the pound, who could have gone to those homes.

Not that that means you shouldn't let her have the pups - it's just another factor to consider in what is already a tricky conundrum. Good luck, whatever route you decide to go down!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If she has pups I would keep them all! I live on a farm so theres tons of room. So that wouldn't play a factor at all.
The thing about producing more puppies is that an equivalent number of potential homes don't suddenly appear. So if you manage to find good homes for all the pups, there will be other dogs who will remain in rescue, or run out of time at the pound, who could have gone to those homes.

Not that that means you shouldn't let her have the pups - it's just another factor to consider in what is already a tricky conundrum. Good luck, whatever route you decide to go down!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts