Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a intact 2 year old female Chihuahua who is 4lbs. (she is not spayed because her vet didn't want to use anesthesia on her without a medical emergency because of her size.) I also have an intact male Chihuahua, 6 months old, weighing 6lbs. ( He is an AKC registered show dog so he can't be neutered) I knew my female was in heat so I had put the male in a crate when I was gone. I know now I should have just kept them in separate rooms and that is my mistake. I must have not latched it correctly because when I got home they were butt to butt, locked! I was gone for 5 hours so I don't know when he got out or how many times it happened! (Is a 6 month old male puppy fertile enough to get a bitch pregnant? I forgot to ask my vet this) Anyway, I took her to the vet to get advice on what to do . He said if I didn't want puppies to spay her immediately. She is a thinner girl weighing only 4lbs. He said since she mated with another small Chihuahua it was certainly possible for her to deliver naturally but with Chihuahuas theres always a higher risk in general of needing a C-section. I could spay her and not worry about it at all. But thats still putting a very small dog under possibly unneeded anesthesia. I still am not sure she is pregnant, its only been 18 days and I don't see any obvious signs yet. He said by day 30 it will be too late to spay and its still too early to detect pregnancy without spending a ton of money on an ultrasound which I really don't want to do. My issue is I don't know if I should spay her or not! I wouldn't mind having puppies at all, its more a matter of her health and which would be better for HER. Any opinions and input are welcomed! Thanks for taking the time to read this!

P.S I know this was my fault. I should have been more responsible and separated them completely in different rooms. I feel horrible about the situation I have put my baby girl in. Either having surgery or giving birth is a terrible ultimatum for such a small dog. I am rattled with guilt. I really need advice, not criticism. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
625 Posts
There is another option. Alizin is a drug which blocks the progesterone that is needed to allow the embryos to implant into the wall of the uterus. So it in effect terminates the pregnancy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is another option. Alizin is a drug which blocks the progesterone that is needed to allow the embryos to implant into the wall of the uterus. So it in effect terminates the pregnancy.
Unfortunately thats not an option for me. I live in a very small town where the closest vet is an hour away. The second closest vet is 3 hours away and neither of them offer that :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't they get it sent in?
I asked them that. It would take about 2 weeks to get it up here and by then she will be over 30 days pregnant and it would be too late to use it. I live in a VERY remote area so unfortunately things don't run the same around here as they do in more populated areas

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't they get it sent in?
And, even if they could get the drug here in time, barring an emergency, they are booked out 3 weeks because its the only vet around so she wouldn't be able to be seen in time either. Its just a bad situation.

·
Super Moderator
625 Posts
I'd have another word with them - even if they are booked, a couple of quick injections for something as important as this could probably be squeezed in, or they could rearrange things - this is more of a priority than, say, an annual booster shot. And what do they do for real emergencies?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd have another word with them - even if they are booked, a couple of quick injections for something as important as this could probably be squeezed in, or they could rearrange things - this is more of a priority than, say, an annual booster shot. And what do they do for real emergencies?
Trust me- I pushed. Things run differently around here as I stated before. This doesn't qualify as an emergency because she is not in immediate danger. If there is ever a real emergency they will of course see the dog. My dog doesn't take priority over anyone else's dog and I respect that. I wouldn't want another dog taking my appointment I waited 3 weeks for either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't mean to be rude but instead of debating what the vet will/will not do, I would prefer having advice on the actual post.

·
Super Moderator
625 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean for it to be a debate. It just seems by far the safest and easiest option for your girl, that's the only reason I was urging you to push your vet further.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, I didn't mean for it to be a debate. It just seems by far the safest and easiest option for your girl, that's the only reason I was urging you to push your vet further.
I wish that was an option but its not. My only options are spaying her, or letting her have the puppies.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It’s a difficult situation and I’m sorry you have to face this dilemma, where neither of the choices are ideal.

I would recommend to list all the pros and cons for the different decisions. Spaying her would be a risk (how high is the risk?) but at the same time it prevents the risk (how high is that risk?) she’s facing of having puppies. And it will prevent unwanted puppies that contributes to the issue with overpopulation of dogs and prevent bringing unintentionally bred puppies in to this world. But then you also have to look over the risks and cons with having her spayed.

If I were you I for sure would consider that ultrasound. Maybe you don’t have to put her in risk at all. Mistakes and accidents happen and sometimes it will cost you. One thing for sure is that it will cost you more having the puppies or even loosing her. If I were in your situation I would make the ultrasound and probably lean towards spaying if she’s pregnant.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s a difficult situation and I’m sorry you have to face this dilemma, where neither of the choices are ideal.

I would recommend to list all the pros and cons for the different decisions. Spaying her would be a risk (how high is the risk?) but at the same time it prevents the risk (how high is that risk?) she’s facing of having puppies. And it will prevent unwanted puppies that contributes to the issue with overpopulation of dogs and prevent bringing unintentionally bred puppies in to this world. But then you also have to look over the risks and cons with having her spayed.

If I were you I for sure would consider that ultrasound. Maybe you don’t have to put her in risk at all. Mistakes and accidents happen and sometimes it will cost you. One thing for sure is that it will cost you more having the puppies or even loosing her. If I were in your situation I would make the ultrasound and probably lean towards spaying if she’s pregnant.
Right now the cons look about the same. She is at a much higher risk of complications during a routine spay because of her size. Since she is a Chihuahua, she is a risk of needing a c-section..but she's not a higher risk then any other Chihuahua so theres no extra threat there, like there is with a spay. However, if she does need a c-section its more risky then a spay. So its basically like picking between putting her under knowing its dangerous...or...letting her have puppies with the same risk as any other Chihuahua's chances of needing a c-section. Hope that all makes sense. As for the "overpopulation" issue, that doesn't play a factor in my thinking, I'm sorry but I don't care about that at the moment, I only care about this one dog and doing what is best for HER, not the world's issue. She really doesn't need an ultrasound, either I'm spaying her , in which case she won't need one....or I'm letting her have puppies, in which case just waiting and seeing if she gets big will confirm the pregnancy without spending 800$. If I do let her have the pups, she will get a x-ray closer to delivery to determine how many puppies there are. No need for an ultrasound. I just have to make a decision by the end of next week.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually the vet said because she mated with the same breed it was less risk. He is only 2 pounds larger...mostly because he's a bit chubby. Not chubby, he would be the same weight as her or slightly more
Perhaps a little more at risk as your male is proportionately quite a bit larger than she is.
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
247 Posts
Right now the cons look about the same. She is at a much higher risk of complications during a routine spay because of her size. Since she is a Chihuahua, she is a risk of needing a c-section..but she's not a higher risk then any other Chihuahua so theres no extra threat there, like there is with a spay. However, if she does need a c-section its more risky then a spay. So its basically like picking between putting her under knowing its dangerous...or...letting her have puppies with the same risk as any other Chihuahua's chances of needing a c-section. Hope that all makes sense. As for the "overpopulation" issue, that doesn't play a factor in my thinking, I'm sorry but I don't care about that at the moment, I only care about this one dog and doing what is best for HER, not the world's issue. She really doesn't need an ultrasound, either I'm spaying her , in which case she won't need one....or I'm letting her have puppies, in which case just waiting and seeing if she gets big will confirm the pregnancy without spending 800$. If I do let her have the pups, she will get a x-ray closer to delivery to determine how many puppies there are. No need for an ultrasound. I just have to make a decision by the end of next week.
I don’t understand. The c-section is more dangerous than spaying her but there’s no extra threat to putting her through a pregnancy? Sounds to me like it is. If the c-section is more dangerous I would definitely choose to spay her. And you also need to take in account that there’s other dangers with the pregnancy besides a c-section. Spaying her would be more controlled and safe. I’m also not sure if it’s true that she’s not at higher risk of getting a c-section than others chihuahuas considering that their small size is the reason for many c-sections in the breed.

I think it’s wrong that you don’t care about the “world’s issues”. Even if you never wished upon this, it’s your responsibility and your fault. You have a responsibility over your dogs and to not be a part of a problem. I understand that her health comes first but it should be a considered factor. And besides, it sounds like the safest option for her also is to spay her.

I can absolutely still see the reason for an ultrasound. There’s no reason for you to put her at risk at all if she’s not pregnant. If you make an ultrasound which show she’s not pregnant, you won’t have to risk loosing her under anesthesia when spaying her. If you choose to go about the pregnancy, you’ll need ultrasound anyhow and other expensive examinations, like the x-ray you mention. And at last the cost of the supposedly c-section (and the risk of loosing her). Then you of course also have the expenses you have to make due to all the puppies.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don’t understand. The c-section is more dangerous than spaying her but there’s no extra threat to putting her through a pregnancy? Sounds to me like it is. If the c-section is more dangerous I would definitely choose to spay her. And you also need to take in account that there’s other dangers with the pregnancy besides a c-section. Spaying her would be more controlled and safe. I’m also not sure if it’s true that she’s not at higher risk of getting a c-section than others chihuahuas considering that their small size is the reason for many c-sections in the breed.

I think it’s wrong that you don’t care about the “world’s issues”. Even if you never wished upon this, it’s your responsibility and your fault. You have a responsibility over your dogs and to not be a part of a problem. I understand that her health comes first but it should be a considered factor. And besides, it sounds like the safest option for her also is to spay her.

I can absolutely still see the reason for an ultrasound. There’s no reason for you to put her at risk at all if she’s not pregnant. If you make an ultrasound which show she’s not pregnant, you won’t have to risk loosing her under anesthesia when spaying her. If you choose to go about the pregnancy, you’ll need ultrasound anyhow and other expensive examinations, like the x-ray you mention. And at last the cost of the supposedly c-section (and the risk of loosing her). Then you of course also have the expenses you have to make due to all the puppies.
Theres a good chance she won't need a C-section. This is what the VET told me- C-sections are most common among Apple head Chihuahuas. My two are deer head. Their heads are not as big. Most Chihuahua c-sections are apple heads. This is why she isn't a higher risk then any other chihuahua. I care about the overpopulation of dogs in general. But not with this. And I won't apologize for not using it as a determining factor for what I choose to do. look, I asked in my original post which option people thought was best. I didn't ask for all this extra input and judgement. Especially when some of what you are saying isnt true. An ultrasound is NOT needed in a canine pregnancy as long as no issues arise. I am more then happy to pay for any NEEDED procedures. So please, stop giving your opinion about things I didn't ask for and please just stil to the original question. You are in favor of spaying her because it seems less risky. Why couldn't you just say that rather then lecture me? I came for opinions on which option....not for being judged or criticized or lectured on a number of things I didn't originally ask about

·
Registered
247 Posts
Theres a good chance she won't need a C-section. This is what the VET told me- C-sections are most common among Apple head Chihuahuas. My two are deer head. Their heads are not as big. Most Chihuahua c-sections are apple heads. This is why she isn't a higher risk then any other chihuahua. I care about the overpopulation of dogs in general. But not with this. And I won't apologize for not using it as a determining factor for what I choose to do. look, I asked in my original post which option people thought was best. I didn't ask for all this extra input and judgement. Especially when some of what you are saying isnt true. An ultrasound is NOT needed in a canine pregnancy as long as no issues arise. I am more then happy to pay for any NEEDED procedures. So please, stop giving your opinion about things I didn't ask for and please just stil to the original question. You are in favor of spaying her because it seems less risky. Why couldn't you just say that rather then lecture me? I came for opinions on which option....not for being judged or criticized or lectured on a number of things I didn't originally ask about
I haven’t lectured you. You asked for opinions and I shared mine? Can you explain what extra input and judgement I’ve brought up? And what things have I said that is not true? You came for opinions on which option to choose. I gave you mine. Why would you complain over that? I brought up all the different pros and cons for the two options you faced, to help you make the decision.

·
Super Moderator
3,664 Posts
A reminder from your Dog Forum Moderating Team:

1) Be nice. If you can't be nice, be civil. If you can't be civil, please don't post.
Even if you disagree with another member, you can express your opinion in a way that won't cause hard feelings. Please do so. If somebody doesn't follow this rule and is mean or insulting, please notify a moderator and the moderator will address the issue.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I assu
A reminder from your Dog Forum Moderating Team:

1) Be nice. If you can't be nice, be civil. If you can't be civil, please don't post.
Even if you disagree with another member, you can express your opinion in a way that won't cause hard feelings. Please do so. If somebody doesn't follow this rule and is mean or insulting, please notify a moderator and the moderator will address the issue.
I assume this is directed at me. Would love an explanation.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts