Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, not really, but this poor little guy just couldn't reach his water bottle. He must've tried getting a drink for over 2 minutes. It was so cute to watch. Sorry for the crappy cell phone video. :p

·
Registered
381 Posts
Poor guy - did you mention it to the staff? Often times they don't spend heaps of time observing the animals and may just assume he is fine because that is how they hang all their bottles. Most often the only interaction time they have is cleaning or catching - which are times when the animals will be busy scurrying/hiding so they may have never observed him attempting to drink.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aw, I didn't think to mention it. :( He was able to get a few sips here and there. I hope he's ok.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
don't get me started on stuff like this...I've seen it all.

and yeah, next time tell the staff, you'll probably get eyes rolled at you, but they'll fix it if you stand there.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
and yeah, next time tell the staff, you'll probably get eyes rolled at you, but they'll fix it if you stand there.
I'd bet money on them coping an attitude but they aren't the ones struggling to drink a little water. That to me just goes to show that just because you work at a pet store doesn't automatically make you any kind of an expert. I've seen some of the dumbest people working there, they couldn't even answer a question about their own dog food. :eyeroll:

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, when I kept hermit crabs, big box pet stores were the worst at caring for them. I would go to the stores to look for certain breeds, and if their tank wasn't set up correctly (humidity is huge for these guys), I'd usually end up talking to someone about it.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
I'd bet money on them coping an attitude but they aren't the ones struggling to drink a little water. That to me just goes to show that just because you work at a pet store doesn't automatically make you any kind of an expert. I've seen some of the dumbest people working there, they couldn't even answer a question about their own dog food. :eyeroll:
granted, there are times I have been frustrated at things like that, for example baby tortoises that flipped themselves over, people are unders the impression that this causes them to suffocate and die instantly (its harmless), so they come running at you (yes running) and more often than not, they are in a panic or yelling at you to save them NOW (no joke)....90% of the time, by the time you get to the cage to help it, the animal has flipped itself back over...torts havn't been around millions of years for nothing...

but yeah, its typically either one of two things. They are an expert and your moron for pointing out they aren't. Or they are overworked and in the middle of som'thing and you stopped them at a bad time.

Yeah, when I kept hermit crabs, big box pet stores were the worst at caring for them. I would go to the stores to look for certain breeds, and if their tank wasn't set up correctly (humidity is huge for these guys), I'd usually end up talking to someone about it.
This is why I have pretty much stopped shopping anywhere that sells live animals. I've seen so much bad stuff at the big boxes especially , from working there and from just walking in as a customer, that I don't feel comfortable indirectly supporting their sale of live animals by giving them my money

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
granted, there are times I have been frustrated at things like that, for example baby tortoises that flipped themselves over, people are unders the impression that this causes them to suffocate and die instantly (its harmless), so they come running at you (yes running) and more often than not, they are in a panic or yelling at you to save them NOW (no joke)....90% of the time, by the time you get to the cage to help it, the animal has flipped itself back over...torts havn't been around millions of years for nothing...

but yeah, its typically either one of two things. They are an expert and your moron for pointing out they aren't. Or they are overworked and in the middle of som'thing and you stopped them at a bad time
I think there are some good people who work at those stores but the people I've dealt with were not busy at all and acted like they didn't have the time to answer a question or didn't know anything. Luckily I've never seen any animals in poor living conditions. Unfortunately most people working at those stores aren't as knowledgeable as you Crio, well actually most of us aren't but that's besides the point. ;)

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
I think there are some good people who work at those stores but the people I've dealt with were not busy at all and acted like they didn't have the time to answer a question or didn't know anything. Luckily I've never seen any animals in poor living conditions. Unfortunately most people working at those stores aren't as knowledgeable as you Crio, well actually most of us aren't but that's besides the point. ;)

bingo.

I find that the mentallity of lots of people is. "i like animals, I will work at a petstore" then they get hired, then its "i am an EXPERT i know everything!! Why else would they hire awesome ME to work at a petstore! A petstore is the peak of animal related careers!"

They read a manual, and then thats the extent of the formal training. I've seen employees smack parrots, throw guinea pigs against walls, refuse to give animals medical care, animals dying in mass quantities, and argue with me that a ca native animal was a south american species.....I have stories for days...days. Ten years worth of days.

I know people HATE peta, but its due to their pressure that petco can no longer sell large birds. Which is a decision I wholeheardedly support

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How awful. :( About the employees, not the PETA thing. I agree big boxes shouldn't sell birds. I didn't realize Petco didn't sell big ones because of that. Too bad they can't get PetSmart to stop selling them, although the last few big birds I've seen at PetSmart have said "hand-raised" so maybe they've changed policy? I don't know enough about the topic...

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
whats sad is the abuse of the parrots I saw was at petsmart, not petco. All the petco parrots were loved and cared for, that said, that doesn't change whether or not I feel they should be available for impulse buyers, in a big box store...but I think it was odd they went after one big box and not the other. I don't know petsmarts current policy on large birds, I haven't set foot in a PS for years now.

I know the stores I worked at (Petsmart) was not carrying them for a while due to high theft. The locks would break and they wouldn't replace them, even after birds were repeatedly stolen.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Do people abuse their ferrets? I really don't get the impulse buy pet thing. I guess I have too much respect for life to be a moron about that. I don't impulse buy in general though, but animals seem like so much bigger of a deal. You really need to be prepared.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I have found many more knowledgeable people working in a feed store than I have in a Pet Store. Personally, I just cant take listening to the employees in a pet store that sell ANY kind of animals, because it would appear they have little to no, training, experience, product knowledge, moral fiber, or common sense for the most part. I attribute that to the lack of credentials and or qualifications that should be a factor in the hiring process and the fact that they are pretty much left on their own to do and say whatever they feel is right.

Just as in any job where lives and health are at stake, I think proper training should be manditory but I guess the companies are more concerned with their bottom line, profit and cheap labor....not so much are they interested in quality staff and fair wages to compensate for their skill-set.

I stick to feed stores, who are mostly staffed by folks who may not be experts about everything, but they seem to be eons above what is expected of Pet Store Employees. Plus I like the laid back atmosphere, no high pressure sales, no big selling contests between employees, no BS, no marketing gimicks etc...at least in my area, anyway.

I think it's cool that some Companies like Champion Pet Foods wont let our local pet stores become distributors of their products. Not sure why, possibly because the stores are run by morons or because they do not want to support the sale of live pets....either way, good call...:D

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think there is a difference between the big box pet chains and the smaller "local fish/pet stores". One of the first things I do when moving to a new area is to locate the area feed/farm stores and a good local fish/pet store. The staff at the LFS's I have used have always been knoweldgable and had a genuine care/concern for the animals in their care (fish and furries). I will only go to a big box store out of absolute necessity and will not purchase any live animals from them -- and I am always shaking my head at the absolutel b.s. I hear the "experts" working there spouting off to other customers. When I see issues that are a detriment to the well-being of the animals, I will make mention (and stay to see it rectified if applicable) -- if I feel my concern is being ignored by the employee, I will follow up with discussion with store management and corporate if necessary (like wise, I will go out of my way to acknowledge GOOD - because that is just as important, if not more-so, and encourages more good). If I hear blatant misinformation being given to someone who does not know they are being fed falsehood, I will politely offer my own input at the first opportunity - I owe that much to the poor animal that might end up being cared for improperly - as well as suggest any other resource in the local area where better assistance might be available.
I do not think that everyone working in a pet store - even the big box stores - is uninformed or uncaring, I just think that in the big box corporate machine those people are few and far between because there is no motivation for them to be anything else -- those who know better move on either out of frustration or to an opportunity that will actually appreciate/compensate them for their knowledge and effort.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
this reminds me of when i was in walmart and i swear there were dead fish in EVERY SINGLE tank. It actually looked as if someone turned the filter or something on too high and they were being vaccumed in. There was dead remains everywhere i was absolutely MORTIFIED!

So I actually went and told one of the employees and an assistant manager. Both told me it'd be taken care of. I had to work in that walmart that day so for a bit I stuck around the pets and nobody showed up. I went to work, 6 hours later I was off work and checked..NOTHING had been done!! :O!

·
Banned
629 Posts
my walmart here the tanks are GREEN>>>

one time i bought two ferrets-10 yrs ago-both died 3 days after i brought them home. thankfully i contacted marshall farms directly they refunded my money and sent out a rep under cover and took back their baby ferrets.

now if i want a ferret i can get a baby ferret from marshalls directly as my sister works there.

pet depot- the ferrets are kept in tiny lil areas and they are sub adults and not very friendly.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.