Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i recently had a beaten dog drooped in my lap. shes about 5 months old. a buddy managed to catch her from outside and bring her inside. but for the last 3 days she done nothing but hide. only eating small treats i offer her. i can approach and pet her but you can tell wile she tries to be a social puppy fear takes over. with her age i want to get her in a vet to get fixed but she cant be fully handled with panic setting in and she will slip a collier being she clearly was never trained for one.

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
It takes a bit of time and work but the most important thing is you must take it at her pace.

Don't try to pet her, don't try to give her treats from your hand - at this stage she will be horribly conflicted about wanting the treat but having to do something terrifying to get it. You don't want her to see you as someone frightening.

So, ignore her, completely. No eye contact, nothing. Dogs find face to face eye contact intimidating.

For food you can put it down, then walk out of the room so she eats alone.

In a few days, get some treats and toss them past her so she has to go away from you to get them. She will start to see you as provider of nice things but she doesn't have to face her fears to get them.

Have a collar and lead lying around on the floor somewhere.

After a few days more, put a treat on the floor and see how she behaves. If she is confident to get it, great. If not go back to tossing them away for a few more days.

After she is comfortable picking up a treat from the floor, offer one from the upturned palm of your hand. Again see how she behaves, regress again if necessary.

When she is taking treats by hand, speak gently to her while she is taking them. Same as before, if she looks anxious, delay that for a few more days.

Now have the collar on your lap, then in your hand (again going back a step if she is unhappy). Your progression will then be to lay it on her neck and eventually fasten it. If it has a plastic fastener the noise may startle her so before you put it on, you might want to snap it closed a few times over a few days while you are doing something like cooking or watching tv in the evening so it becomes just another normal household sound.

I'd also have a piece of ribbon or string attached and leave it on for 10 minutes at a time so she gets used to the feeling of a leash.

By now she will hopefully be accustomed to touch, but use the 5 second rule for petting. Pet her for 5 seconds then stop. If, and only if she initiates further contact by nudging you or similar, pet for another 5 seconds then stop again. Carry on only as long as she asks. This will give her control over how much she is touched, and with that comes confidence because she learns that she can make it stop if she wants.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Totally agree with @JoanneF .
I once adopted a dog who had been badly abused and she walked behind all the furniture for 6-months so giving it time isn't a couple of days or even a week it could be months but just take it easy..Let them see you are trustworthy eventually they come round and our Sheba ended up taking part in dog shows and parading around like a little diva.

·
Registered
293 Posts
It takes a bit of time and work but the most important thing is you must take it at her pace.

Don't try to pet her, don't try to give her treats from your hand - at this stage she will be horribly conflicted about wanting the treat but having to do something terrifying to get it. You don't want her to see you as someone frightening.

So, ignore her, completely. No eye contact, nothing. Dogs find face to face eye contact intimidating.

For food you can put it down, then walk out of the room so she eats alone.

In a few days, get some treats and toss them past her so she has to go away from you to get them. She will start to see you as provider of nice things but she doesn't have to face her fears to get them.

Have a collar and lead lying around on the floor somewhere.

After a few days more, put a treat on the floor and see how she behaves. If she is confident to get it, great. If not go back to tossing them away for a few more days.

After she is comfortable picking up a treat from the floor, offer one from the upturned palm of your hand. Again see how she behaves, regress again if necessary.

When she is taking treats by hand, speak gently to her while she is taking them. Same as before, if she looks anxious, delay that for a few more days.

Now have the collar on your lap, then in your hand (again going back a step if she is unhappy). Your progression will then be to lay it on her neck and eventually fasten it. If it has a plastic fastener the noise may startle her so before you put it on, you might want to snap it closed a few times over a few days while you are doing something like cooking or watching tv in the evening so it becomes just another normal household sound.

I'd also have a piece of ribbon or string attached and leave it on for 10 minutes at a time so she gets used to the feeling of a leash.

By now she will hopefully be accustomed to touch, but use the 5 second rule for petting. Pet her for 5 seconds then stop. If, and only if she initiates further contact by nudging you or similar, pet for another 5 seconds then stop again. Carry on only as long as she asks. This will give her control over how much she is touched, and with that comes confidence because she learns that she can make it stop if she wants.
Perfect advice given and thankyou so much for looking after her

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i can pet her and hand feed her. she even gives the classic excited stance. i got her to that pont wile she was still outside after the first week. i told them not to attempt to catch her as it was to soon but i was ignored. wile all my other dogs are fixed the last thing i need is a female going into heat. why im trying to get her so i can handle her to get her to the vet. i can put a collar on her as well but i got a large size being thats how big shes going to get but its slightly to loose fitting still so she can easily slip out. basically at the point her response to the leads is negative as well as attempts to pick her up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update she has came out from hiding. still very scared of course. but she is now exploring a bit and even approaching people. the other pets however are not helping cats hissing other dog growling etc. seems i got lucky and the damage isnt long term. she even eaten a bit of food.

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
Can you use baby gates or barriers of some kind to keep the other pets away from her for now?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
the other pets have aruldy chilled out and even starting to play. other then the one cat. she still hides but whenever it gets quite shes out and about. it must have been a guy that beat her becouse she seems to react better to women. my grandma came out of hospital and she instantly was over getting attention from her. today i put her in a harness and lead she was not happy. but at least i do have enough controller over her now to get her in the vet. that was the big thing for me becouse shes reaching the age she needs to be spayed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts