Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I accompanied my father to take Nellie into the vet as her back paw was swollen and she wasn't putting any weight on it. She'd been out with us fixing fence the day before and was limping on it that night, so really anything could have happened. We ended up going in and paying emergency fees ($$) as we weren't sure if she had been bitten by a snake and my dad said better safe than sorry.

Ultimately, she had to be sedated as she's not too happy anyway having strangers in her "bubble" and she was really upset over the foot. The vet took her then and made an incision to see if something was inside her foot - foxtail seeds have been known to get in and work their way up the leg (as has happened to Lexy before). The vet didn't end up finding anything.

So now Nellie is bandaged up and healing. The vet said that if something was still in there, just father up than she went, she'd abscess again as her body would be trying to reject the material.

Now for the stupid question: if that were to happen, would it occur higher up on the leg? If there is something inside there will she have tenderness in that leg at all? Anyone had experience with this?

Like I said, this happened to Lexy but the vet at that time found the seed and pulled it out. My cat has abscessed before but we've never really known the cause, and cats are more prone to that anyway.

·
Registered
271 Posts
How is she doing?

I'm not sure how that works. Our dogs have had issues with bee-strings/bug-bites, sprains, cuts, and arthritis but never abscesses. I'm not sure how it would work, but hopefully she is doing well. : )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts