Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,
I own a 2 year old Dutch shepherd x Belgian Malinois.
He is a very active dog and mainly just muscles (though i think he can lose a little fat)
He now weighs a little over 57kg, but to my understanding Malinois rarely reach 40kg and dutchies are even smaller
He's way taller and heavier than his brother and sisters
Is his size a health risk?
And what could be a reason for his size?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Generally larger/heavier dogs are more prone to hip/joint problems (amongst other problems). If they’re heavier it will put more stress on their joints but if the dog is fit and well muscled this will decrease the problem. How tall is he? Do you have a picture of him standing from the side? It’s hard to know by your information if he weighs so much due to him being very large, loads of muscles or if he’s overweight.

Since larger dogs comes with some health risks it’s possible that he’s at higher risk. But then it also depends on why he weighs so much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Generally larger/heavier dogs are more prone to hip/joint problems (amongst other problems). If they’re heavier it will put more stress on their joints but if the dog is fit and well muscled this will decrease the problem. How tall is he? Do you have a picture of him standing from the side? It’s hard to know by your information if he weighs so much due to him being very large, loads of muscles or if he’s overweight.

Since larger dogs comes with some health risks it’s possible that he’s at higher risk. But then it also depends on why he weighs so much.
Thanks for your reply :)
He's 71 at the shoulders
I think this is a better picture
It's hard to get him to stand still for over 2 seconds, after 5 minutes of trying to get a side shot this was the best one i could get xD

·
Registered
490 Posts
Okay, so he’s about 5 cm taller than he “should” be. To me it sounds like those 5 cm doesn’t add up to 20 extra kg. It still sounds like he weighs a bit too much, but in the end it truly just comes down to his size, body shape and muscle built, not the numbers on the scale. From the picture it’s really hard to tell but since he is quite large I really recommend you to build as much muscle as possible and to keep him on the slimmer side, he won’t benefit from any extra kg.

I’m trying to understand why he weighs so much but can’t really make it add up. For comparison I have this dog
EDBFCB22-324D-4A8B-AEFE-516F1B1193E6.jpeg

She’s the same size as yours but weighed 17 kg less. However she was on the thinner side when she weighed 40 kg and could have gained a little weight. She was a little thin but still well muscled. However, I can’t seem to imagine putting 17 kg on her and that’s why I’m, like you, is confused by why he weighs so much haha.

Is it possible that he would benefit from loosing a bit of weight? It’s really hard to tell from the picture if he’s in good shape or not and a picture can really fool the eye.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll get some good pictures of him outside tomorrow so you can really get a good idea of what he looks like
He could lose about 2-4kg, that's how much he gained after he got "the cut". He weighed 53 before and was in perfect shape, could do anything you'd expect from a dutch shepherd, very agile very fast, jump on and climb fences and haystacks. Even now with the extra few pounds he's still in a great shape and does all the things he did with ease. I can't imagine him weighing less than he did before

I'll update with more pictures soon :D

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'll get some good pictures of him outside tomorrow so you can really get a good idea of what he looks like
He could lose about 2-4kg, that's how much he gained after he got "the cut". He weighed 53 before and was in perfect shape, could do anything you'd expect from a dutch shepherd, very agile very fast, jump on and climb fences and haystacks. Even now with the extra few pounds he's still in a great shape and does all the things he did with ease. I can't imagine him weighing less than he did before

Okay that would be great! Well then It might just be that his ideal weight is very high. Like I said before, what matters is his physic not the numbers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay that would be great! Well then It might just be that his ideal weight is very high. Like I said before, what matters is his physic not the numbers.
Hey, I think i got some better pictures now

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
Okay, so from only seeing the pictures I think he’s possibly a bit overweight. Again, you’re not always able to tell from a photo but I’ll try to explain how I see it. I took the liberty to draw an outline of the dog to show you how his body condition looks from my perspective. And then drew an outline of how I think his body should look to be the most ideal. I hope you don’t mind, it’s just to show you how I think. The red is the outline of him now and the green is the more ideal outline.
A1AF14DE-6730-4BB5-9296-CD44964A0B21.jpeg
F4AE1CB4-C649-4E79-95A6-FF1392473F37.jpeg
8F2688B2-9CFA-4318-BE40-D4A677C45B19.jpeg
1188C1B3-DFAD-4C89-A8B7-82DA90DCEE5E.jpeg

And if you compare the red outline with these body condition charts you can see that it’s similar to the shape of the “overweight” dog.
6DE9C599-1E8D-4353-8230-DBC7BDF3418D.jpeg
0442EA6C-806D-4E4E-833F-950A7629AEC4.png
EC5F3FFE-FA42-498A-8582-C56270900D5A.png

As an example we have this Rottweiler which might not look very overweight to everyone and isn’t per say severely obese:
10C552EE-49A3-435C-B6AC-211FDF5587C0.jpeg

But when you compare it to this Rottweiler which is more fit and have a more ideal body condition you can tell that the first one would benefit from loosing quite much weight.
D90615D3-B3C6-4FAE-B77F-AAB940159C82.jpeg

Then I’m not sure if your dog would have to loose more than the pounds he recently gained, that’s out of my knowledge. But make sure that he has a significant waist (looking from above) and a tucked in belly where’s the underline forms a ascendant curve from the lowest point of the chest to the abdomen. You should also be able to easily feel the ribs, without having to use any pressure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No i don't mind at all
wow... thank you
It's definitely closer to the overweight side than the ideal side now
i had no idea
Do you have any tips on how i can get him to lose weight?
He's extremely active and gets loads of exercise
He also has a huge appetite but i figured it was because he's so active

·
Registered
490 Posts
The key is really to have a good balance between the right amount of exercise and food. If you feel like he’s already very active and gets the right amount of exercise then you simply have to reduce the amount of food and/or give him a different kind of food. If I understand it right he’s neutered. A neutered dog will generally have a lower metabolism and will easily put on extra pounds. Due to the low metabolism even very small amounts can make a big impact, even a slice of cheese. So, cut down on the food, preferably change him onto a “light” feed which has a lower energy content and is meant for neutered dogs or dogs that easily gain weight. He shouldn’t be given anything except his food, if you give him anything else you need to comprise on the food.

What the right amount of food is depends on the dog, for instance the dog I showed you before who weighed 40 kg was given food recommend for almost a 60 kg dog and she still was a bit thin (very active and high metabolism). But in general, follow the advice on the bag of food and give the amount of food recommend for his goal weight, not what he weighs right now. However, it’s really individual so he might need more or less food than the recommendation.

Don’t let his appetite fool you. Many dogs would eat until they got sick, severally overweight or even died if they got to choose for themselves. It’s for his best, so don’t let any sweet puppy eyes persuade you into giving him more food than what’s good for him.

Regarding the exercise I don’t really know if I have any tips, it really depends on what you’re doing as for now. What is important to keep in mind is to not begin with heavier exercise when he is still overweight. Since the extra weight puts more stress on his joint you want to get him lighter before starting with heavy exercise. Swimming and walking is great in the beginning. Walking in the forest with varied terrain which pushes the dog to lift their legs more is a good “softer” exercise which is also great for building muscles. Other ways of building muscle is through balance exercises. As you can see in the picture I previously posted I trained balance, body control and strength with the dog on a fallen tree. You could also use a gym ball. There’s really a thousand different ways to exercise a dog so there’s hard to give advice when I don’t know what you already do. But remember to not only focus on getting him thinner, you also want to build muscle. I hope this could be of some help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts