Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6-8 month old female spayed toy fox terrier that I rescued about 2 weeks ago.

She has terrible breath! The first couple of days she didn't have bad breath at all, but soon she developed abnormally bad breath. I work with dogs and so I've got experience with bad dog breath- including dogs with gum and dental disease- but it smells different from regular bad breath.

It kind of smells like a mix between poop and blood/iron but not exactly like either of those things. I know she doesn't eat poop because we don't have a yard so we walk her on a leash and she doesn't have the opportunity to eat poop even if she wanted to. I even checked her crate to see if she had been pooping or vomiting in it and eating it, but it was clean.

She's been to the vet but it was a few days after I had gotten her so the bad breath hadn't developed yet. But otherwise the vet said she was healthy. We only had a basic checkup though.

I've been brushing her teeth once a day for the past four days. Her toothpaste is chicken flavored- her breath's not gonna smell minty fresh but it shouldn't be stinky!

She eats Blue Buffalo kibble, cloud star treats, zuke's treats, and occasionally has a kong with peanut butter, but her breath doesn't smell remotely like any of those things. She doesn't get human food unless we drop some crumbs or something while eating.

She has both sets of teeth- puppy and adult teeth- because her puppy teeth never came out. The vet said we might have to remove them down the road but it's nothing to worry about right away. Otherwise her teeth and gums look very healthy. I mean, her teeth are pearly white and her gums are nice and pink! No signs of any disease in her mouth (other than the smell).

She seems healthy in general- energetic, spunky, well formed stools, drinking and urinating regular, good capillary refill. The vet had mentioned her temperature was at the low end of the spectrum but still within the healthy range.

I don't know what could be causing this and it's so bad I don't even let her kiss me. It's really bothering me. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

We will be having another vet appointment in a couple of weeks for her boosters so if I don't figure out what's up by then I will be asking the vet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
I'm going to bet that the cause is the extra baby teeth still in her mouth, and that food/edibles are getting in the crevices between the adult and baby teeth somewhere you can't brush and bacteria is building up.

Last year our youngest, Spicey, (4-6 y.o?) had somehow broken one of her upper rear molars, and I only discovered it when we were out lying on our sides in the yard and she opened her mouth at just the right angle so that it could be seen. It had broken up the side and had sheared off somewhere above her gumline. OUCH! :( We had it removed a few days later, and she recovered after some days of obvious pain on her part. Several weeks beforehand, though, her breath had also turned sour, and for the life of me, I could not discover anything amiss in a cursory search of her mouth either. But once that tooth was removed, and everything healed up well, her bad breath was gone.

Hopefully it's not a broken tooth, God forbid, but clearly, bacteria is building up somewhere in a nasty way in Delilah's mouth where you can't reach it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @mhop, I was wondering if the extra teeth had something to do with it, since that's the only thing I could think of that was abnormal. But they looked so clean I had discounted it! I'll definitely bring it up with the vet and maybe I'll go out and buy some plain floss to see if I can clean them out at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
Wow, flossing! That must take some conditioning effort! Admittedly, I kind of cheat on the teeth cleaning route by giving out raw bones and some greenies regularly. This seems to be doing the trick, except with my oldest girl, who doesn't go for any but the softest stuff in her old age. Kibble is about the hardest stuff she gets these days, and even that is kind of softened up with some stew topper. I love my waterpik, but I don't think my dogs would care for it except maybe Spicey, who absolutely LOVES a high pressure hose sprayed at her on a hot summer day. :D

Anyway, I hope I was able to help a bit. :)
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top