Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! My 8 year old Italian Greyhound, Daisy, went to the vet today to get her annual and had pre-dental blood work done while she was there. When it was over, the vet came out, said everything looked fine, and gave me a copy of the results. I, of course, took them home, started looking it over, and became concerned when seeing a bunch of "high" and "low" markers! The abnormal results of the blood work are below (I am hung up as to whether to get a second opinion; after all, there is a certain amount of human & lab error that could take place).

ALP 18 (20-150 normal level)
Ca 5.8 (8.6-11.8 norm)
Glucose 114 (60-110 norm)
K+ 6.9 (3.7-5.8 norm)
MO% 4.9 (2.0.4.0 norm)
HGB 18.9 (12.0 - 18.0 norm)
MCH 24.6 (19.5-24.5 norm)
MCHC 35.8 (31.0-34.0 norm)
MPV 12.0 (3.9-11.1)

What's concerning me most is the Calcium and Potassium (and perhaps the glucose isn't the hottest news) levels, because the Ca seems dangerously low and the potassium is pretty high, given that it has such a direct effect on the heart.

Any ideas? Suspicions of human and/or lab error? I feel as if the vet would have picked up on this if it were truly worrisome, yet it makes me wonder... Daisy is - aside from being overweight - a health dog and shows no evidence of kidney trouble, etc.

Would you get a second opinion and maybe rerun blood work at a different vet if she were yours?

Thanks, just concerned is all.

Heather

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Welcome to the forum

There are a few Vets on the forum that can tell you more about the results. If you are concerned you could always have your vet send the blood off for lab work. Some of the in house tests are not accurate as what the lab has. If it were my dog I would be having the blood sent off to be sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks LynneMarie, I didn't know that was an option. Do you know I can walk into any vets office and just request that? I wonder if my own vet could send the existing sample (doubt it because it was taken last night)

Heather

Welcome to the forum

There are a few Vets on the forum that can tell you more about the results. If you are concerned you could always have your vet send the blood off for lab work. Some of the in house tests are not accurate as what the lab has. If it were my dog I would be having the blood sent off to be sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
You could call around and find out if they will do just that for you. I doubt your vet kept any of the blood he took. I am sure they would take some more and send it off for you though.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Hi Heather.

The glucose doesn't concern me but the potassium and calcium do, you're right. Do you know what the albumin and sodium were?

I would absolutely have the blood work rerun- and make sure it's not in-house like lynnemarie said but goes to a lab.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Heather.

The glucose doesn't concern me but the potassium and calcium do, you're right. Do you know what the albumin and sodium were?

I would absolutely have the blood work rerun- and make sure it's not in-house like lynnemarie said but goes to a lab.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hi Holly,

Thanks for the reply. Both albumin and sodium were right where they should be - sodium 147 and albumin 3.1 so midrange for each. I am going to go back and ask them to resend the bloodwork out. If for any reason they don't, do either of you think that I can just walk into a random vet and request bloodwork?

Thanks again,

Heather
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I am sure a clinic will do it, you may have to pay for an office visit. I do not see why your vet would not do it though. Most do offer both.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Please have her back to the vet tomorrow for recheck blood work. Also request a baseline or resting cortisol. Does she have any vomiting or diarrhea issues ever?

The ratio of her sodium and potassium levels is highly suspicious for a disease called Addison's disease. Ratios less than 26 are consistent with Addison's being a strong possibility. Her ratio is 21. That could explain the low calcium as well because Addison's screws up the body's electrolytes and makes the animal very sick.

So please go anywhere tomorrow and have this blood work run ASAP to see if its Addison's before she shows any signs.

Any clinic will do it like Lynnemarie said but they will charge you a visit fee as well if you are not an established client.

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
And make it a new sample. Don't reuse last night's sample.

A note on the Addison's testing. The baseline/resting cortisol will help rule out Addison's if the level is elevated but you may have to do an ACTH stimulation test to fully diagnose it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts