Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 yo, 40 lb whippet mix, who is in otherwise great shape, has been in a lot of distress the last 4 nights, seemingly having abdominal cramping.She seems fine during the day but in the middle of the night, she gets up very suddenly as if in fear, moves quickly from one spot on the bed to another over and over, jumps down from the bed, quickly jumps back up, whines,her tail is down and she sometimes pants lightly and occasionally shakes.She does not want to lie on her side and assumes odd positions that seem to indicate her stomach hurts. Her abdomen does feel hard but not distended and doesn't seem to be tender to the touch.Her back seems fine and she has no trouble jumping up and down from bed. These episodes last from 1 to 2 hours. Finally we give her a pain killer,tramadol, and that helps her to sleep,and then in the morning she is fine,just a little lethargic.She has no signs of gastric issues-no diarrhea, vomiting, retching, weight loss,appetite loss.We have tried a lot of remedies.We thought it might be trapped gas and we have given her gasx,pepcid, probiotic powder on her food(Pinnacle duck and potato), yogurt, pumpkin, an obstacle in her food dish to slow down eating. Nothing has helped.She has had this sporadically in the past but much less intense and only lasted one or two nights.Vet could not find anything wrong although she had been to him several times and even had a barium test which showed nothing. Please advise..I can't go through another night of seeing her in so much distress and I don't want to keep giving her pain meds without knowing the source of the problem. I would REALLY appreciate any suggestions/remedies!!! Thanks!

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
In my opinion, time for an abdominal ultrasound to look for abnormalities in the abdomen. Have you shown a video of her behavior to the vet?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Holly! An ultrasound would be helpful at this point.Taking a video is also a good idea! The problem has been that when we take her in, she is fine and so the vet only has what we tell him to go on. We will take a video tonight, assuming she exhibits the behavior.I fed her only rice and yogurt today so as to rule out the formula of her food as being the cause so we shall see...

Thanks again!

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
The reason I suggest the video is that it could be neurologic rather than abdominal pain...

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's my girl! In this case, she was getting pretty comfortable on top of 5 pillows... :)

With regard to the lumps on the neck, she does have a fatty deposit around her front shoulder (about the size of a dime), but the vet says that's pretty normal for an older dog. I don't think her lymph nodes are swollen at all.

IMG_0177.jpg

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Aw, she's beautiful! Looks like she's living in the lap of luxury there!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason I suggest the video is that it could be neurologic rather than abdominal pain...

Good luck!
You mean like a shooting nerve pain? Hmmm...that's something to consider. She is behaving as if it's a sharp, sudden pain like that.. The reason I am stuck on the abdominal cramping is because of her odd posturing and inability to find a comfortable position.Also because rubbing her stomach seems to help a bit. I will try to get a video tonight and maybe post it on here. I trust you guys more than my vet :)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Thanks..she gets better treatment than any of us! Your dog and daughter are both adorable!
Thanks! They are the best of friends. He is totally devoted to her.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Holly is a vet! I wish she lived near me....I'd go to her in a heartbeat!

Haha, thanks!

There is nothing more important than a physical exam and actually seeing the dog in person, so that's why your vet is very important. If you don't trust your vet, time to find a new one! We're not always correct, but you have to at least trust that we're trying our best to work with you to get to the bottom of the problem at hand!

But, like you mentioned, often the animal is acting normally when they come into the office which is why the video is so important!

Hope you have no issues tonight, but if you do good luck getting a video!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha, thanks!

There is nothing more important than a physical exam and actually seeing the dog in person, so that's why your vet is very important. If you don't trust your vet, time to find a new one! We're not always correct, but you have to at least trust that we're trying our best to work with you to get to the bottom of the problem at hand!

But, like you mentioned, often the animal is acting normally when they come into the office which is why the video is so important!

Hope you have no issues tonight, but if you do good luck getting a video!
Posted via Mobile Device
Good afternoon Holly!
I have great respect for your profession. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to treat a patient that can't articulate what's wrong. My vet frustrates me sometimes because I know my dog so well and I know intuitively that his diagnosis is sometimes incorrect, but he doesn't take time to listen and consider other possibilities. For example, last time Phoebe had these same strange fits at night, he told me it was just anxiety (hers not mine:)). I knew that wasn't the problem, but he didn't bother to consider any other possibilities because she had no obvious symptoms.

Anyway, I have good news and bad news...I didn't get any video, but it's because Phoebe slept peacefully through the night without a single episode! I don't know if not feeding her dog food helped, or if that was just a coincidence. I want to switch foods because I know that Pinnacle has a lot of ingredients and may be hard to digest for an older dog, but then that complicates the issue because switching foods can also cause problems. What do you think?

Thanks so much for any advice!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I really hope no one on here take the advice of strangers on the internet over the advice of their vet when dealing with medical issues. Even a Vet can only guess when giving advice without examining the dog. If you really don't trust your vet it's time to find one that you do.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I really hope no one on here take the advice of strangers on the internet over the advice of their vet when dealing with medical issues. Even a Vet can only guess when giving advice without examining the dog. If you really don't trust your vet it's time to find one that you do.

Happens far too often. Like I said, nothing replaces an in-person chat and exam with your vet!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Happens far too often. Like I said, nothing replaces an in-person chat and exam with your vet!
Posted via Mobile Device
I have taken my dog to several vets for this issue. They cause was never discovered but they did rule out anything serious. I would never substitute online advice for a trip to the vet. It is however a very useful supplement.

As far as her dog food, she has been eating the Pinnacle for about a year. It was Innova before that and we were told this was easier to digest. Today I fed her the rice and yogurt again and so far so good. She is snoring peacefully as I write this. Maybe a change of food is in order...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts