Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a summer of vets misdiagnosing my dog Lola (two different vets too), and clearing up many of her health issues with homeopathy, we got a second opinion from a new vet Dr. V (which I'll refer him as) after she started getting bloated, having diarrhea and a slight cough this week.

Today, Dr. V diagnosed my precious baby with abdominal cancer.

My dog started showing issues earlier this summer: bloating and lack of appetite were the biggest. The first vet didn't give us any answers except bloodwork that showed elevated liver enzymes.

We cleared up her symptoms and normalized them with homeopathy. Then in July we moved and Lola had one bout of bloody diarrhea. Our previous vet diagnosed her with colitis. We cleared it up with homeopathy. He gave her medicine that made her worse. We cleared up her illness again with homeopathy.

Then, after being healthy again the past few weeks, fluid began building up up in her abs and back legs only this week. She started having diarrhea again. So we took her to a completely different vet, after the first two failed us.

This newer vet was stunned that with the lower liver enzymes she had in April, and July, the other vets did not inform us of everything that was wrong with her bloodwork. Apparenly, it was worst than just liver enzymes gone awry.

We had hope of helping more when we did a new set of bloodwork and x-rays. That hope did not last long. She has fluid built up in her abs and lungs, so much so only 25% of one lung is being used, the other one is 100% filled with fluid.

He suggested that he could do ultrasound, biopsies, chemo and radiation, but he said that would only really be doing it to find out the name of the cancer; he doesn't have hope that it would prolong her life. If we removed the fluid around her lungs, it would just be refilled. If we removed fluid from her abdomen, he would be removing the protein she needs and has little left of.

She is still eating, drinking water, but has diarrhea and bloatedness, he estimated she only has a few days left because of her lungs....

Had the previous vets, two different ones, fully examined her blood results, we could have done more. I'm honestly heartbroken. We had done so much work and giving her medicine in the past six months but it just wasn't enough. And, I'm torn.

He said we only have a few days with her due to her lungs...We could do chemo/etc. but there's really no chance of her coming out of it. We could drain the fluids but that would just be worse for her. I struggle with wanting to do chemo, if I even had the choice, but she wouldn't be able to understand what is going on with her, what we were doing. Should I do something more? We will continue to give her all of our love, monitor her, and try to do some more homeopathic medicine that might help....

We brought her home, and she was so happy - eating, drinking, couldn't wait to go on a golf cart ride around the neighborhood sitting in my lap and people-watching. I'm just heartbroken, after twelve years of nothing but good days has come those final few.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'm so sorry, my heart breaks for you. There is no use second-guessing, just enjoy the time you have left and remember the joy you gave each other for 12 years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm so sorry, my heart breaks for you. There is no use second-guessing, just enjoy the time you have left and remember the joy you gave each other for 12 years.
Thank you for your kind words. We are at home and she is sleeping peacefully on her favorite pillows. I'm going to try to not get ahead of myself and fully enjoy her some more. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts