Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Agility is kind of put on hold until I can find and instructor I decided to make a new thread for Rally, since we are actively working on it and taking a class.

For those that don't know, I just happened to be enrolled in rally advance with Aayla. I had planned on starting with novice, but as I am working as a trainer assistant, I started attending to help the tuesday classes, and rally advanced happened to be one of them. No one signed up for novice this round so its only advanced.

I knew nothing about rally before. For the most part I have already taught Aayla everything she needs to know for all the novice and advanced, then some of the excellent. The main thing that we need to work on is my handling and understanding of signs, then Aayla's focus. She has it on and off throughout the course, but I'm not overly concerned because she is still just 8 months. She seems engaged enough to only need a few reminders here and there. Overall the leash is just for in case she decides another dog looks more fun then the course, but as of now she has yet to break away from me.

Here is a video from tonight! I made the mistake of giving her cracker type cookies that crumbled and she was intent on getting every last crumb that I had to drag her away from. Her first run through was better, but overall I'm very happy with how she is doing! Any advice or anything is welcome! I have no idea what I am doing with my hands all curled up. Also you can't hear me talking (I'm not the one yelling leave it).

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
She's doing great! Especially considering her age! Also I love her little high step when she is walking and watching you. So cute!

·
Registered
20 Posts
She is good.

Do this training several times until Aayla understand and do what you want.

Then try to remove the leash from her and command her to do the same agility training without the leash.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
WOW! You two are pretty fabulous for being mainly self taught! I think you are well on your way to being a team to be reckoned with! Good Job!

Have you looked into The Agility Club of San Diego...........they are very inexpensive as they are a non-profit club.....they meet every week at the Canine Sports Center on Dehesa Rd

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! She impresses me every day with her ability to learn! I'm hoping that by the end of the classes we can get through a course off leash. Right now its a bit hard to keep her nose out of the grass.
@jclark343 - I love the happy skips she does! @LuvMyFluff - I'll have to look into them more, they have affordable rates for classes! El Cajon is so far from me though! I'm in Oceanside sadly. Have you heard anything about the quality of their instructors?

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Have only knowledge about OB not the Agility people but the overall group is really friendly and helpful.

Also, have you looked at 'Dog Quest' located in Escondido? Their Agility class is 5 week session for $125..... excellent trainer there according to friends I've spoken to.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@LuvMyFluff I'll have to look into them!

And when I was at the agility trial I was told to stay away from Anne Platt (from dog quest) if I want to be serious about competing. Said she focused little to nothing on handling and just a lot of luring the dogs through obstacles. Though knowing how catty the horse world is, I'm not sure how much to take from a single person in the dog world. Though I do have to say the girl I was talking to had a great run with her dogs and she trains under Stacy Winkler (who I tried to get in contact with).

Reactions: LuvMyFluff

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I NEVER listen to unfound gossip when it comes to methods.......it is best to ask if you can go and watch a class and make your own evaluations........call em and ask if you can 'visit'! :^)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@LuvMyFluff Well I emailed her, and got a response in 20 minutes. So that's more promising. She said I was welcome to come sit in on a class! So I guess I'll be checking her out sometime soon!
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: LuvMyFluff

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Sounds good! Gonna need an update of course! LOL!!!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So we had an amazing Rally class today. Aayla was such a superstar! We had an excellent course set up with some things we have not practiced in class but she just rocked it.

We got three runs today because a lot of people didn't show. So the first run through was great except I was having a hard time with the leash, giving signals and handing out treats. I also managed to get Aayla's leash caught in the jump. Yet she was so focused I didn't have to pick up the slack out of the leash at all. So I decided to do my next run off leash. I was a little worried because she has not been expected to preform for that long (full course) off leash at the play yard.

Yet she was as perfect as a puppy new to this could be. She was very focused for 95% of the course and the few times she started to wander she was easily called back to focus. She needs work on tightening everything up, but overall was amazing! Once I can start proofing this in new environments I believe I'm going to look into trialing her in Novice soon. I'm trying to get her registration paperwork in order.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
@ThatYellowDog - That's awesome! I too prefer having my guys off-leash, it's just easier to manage everything that's going on with your hands. :p

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Shandula It makes a huge difference actually! I was having a hard time with hand signals and fiddling with the leash and treats. I only have one more class and then I'm going to be on my own for training unless I want to assist with Rally Novice. Its at a rather bad time for me to attend at though. Hrm. This might be her last obedience class that she will be personally attending for a while. The Rally advance/excellent class is the highest level they have.

The rest will just be learning to be a demo dog. Which is a lot harder than I thought. She has a hard time settling during our puppy play classes. Yet she is way too rough to be aloud off leash with the 2-4 month old puppies. We are working on it but that's going to have to wait for maturity I feel. In the obedience classes she is better with her down stay.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
@ThatYellowDog - That will come with time. :) Levi struggled with crying in his crate - he really wanted to participate. Now at almost two, (1 year..8 months maybe?) he happily chills out and waits for his turn to demo something. Last week he was in two back to back classes and spent a total of two minutes demoing. Poor guy, how boring.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@ThatYellowDog - That will come with time. :) Levi struggled with crying in his crate - he really wanted to participate. Now at almost two, (1 year..8 months maybe?) he happily chills out and waits for his turn to demo something. Last week he was in two back to back classes and spent a total of two minutes demoing. Poor guy, how boring.
Do you ever take Heidi? I'm wondering if its just her age too. She is only 8 months, I try my best to give her leeway with her teenage brain.

Honestly I need to work more on her place cue (which I haven't been practicing at home) She doesn't settle well in it and spends most of the time on edge waiting to spring into action at my word. I just bought her a mat for her in our living room to practice with since she is starting to become obnoxious while we eat. (We eat on the couch) She doesn't beg but she keeps shoving her toys at me.

As for Rally I'm trying to figure out where I should go from here. I was told to try and find a rally club to join to get into competing but with me starting agility I don't have time for extra membership fees and paying for more classes. So out of the two I'm choosing agility.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Heidi doesn't come to the training school with me, she is my demo dog when clients come to my house. I think she would not be able to handle there yet. She is very good at staying on her mat, which is nice because a lot of time the people drop their leashes, and Heidi gets bum rushed, and she still stays on the mat, thank goodness.

I used to give Levi something to work on, like a frozen Kong or a chew. Over time, I just phased it out. He's not completely relaxed, he is definitely attentive the whole time, but he stays in a down, and doesn't wine, so I'll take it.

In terms of rally vs agility, I think it is smart to choose agility. Rally is definitely easier to do on your own. You can print the signs, and certainly for the novice, the signs aren't very tricky once you've seen them.

My hubby and I are total couch-eaters. :D

Edit: As in we eat on the couch. We aren't devouring sofas. :p

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wrong thread....haha

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.