Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

Thought I would start one of these so I can keep track of things I'm working on with the little wiggle butt.

I got Aayla on 10/24/15 when she was turned 8 weeks old.

What we are working on :
  • Playpen Training - Enjoy the playpen
  • Crate Training - Enjoy the crate
  • Housebreaking
  • Name recognition
  • Drop it - Exchanging toys and no no items for treats
  • Come
  • Sit

+For the crate and playpen training I mostly have been working on the playpen and neglecting the crate. She is going to be left alone in her playpen when we are gone so I am thinking that is more important that she likes that. She has been in a crate or playpen before because after a few sessions of rewarding her while in the playpen with the gate open I was going to close it and reopen it immediately. Soon as it closed she went into a fit of crying, barking and howling. She pawed pretty fiercely at the door. I sat down next to the playpen but with my back to her and let her scream it out. The moment she sat down and was quiet for more than 5 seconds I let her out. From there I did a couple more open door sessions and then fed her in there with the door still open. Then I repeated to halfway close the door, treat and then open it back up. From there we have worked our way up.

She still will cry sometimes when the door is latched but it only lasts a minute before she settles down for a nap. I've been working on capturing calmness while she is quiet when I close the door and it is working great. She happily goes in and out on her own. She sometimes is choosing to go in and lay down by herself as well, sometimes with a chew. So that is going well.

+The crate is so so. I have a lot of work to do. It's smaller and she is a lot more restless in there. The first night I spent half of the night on the floor and half in my bed. She did a lot of circling, laying down, getting up and repeating. I think she isn't a huge fan of fluffy beds yet, I might take that one out and just replace with a blanket. She does not like being locked in there, will go in hesitantly with a lure. but bolts as soon as the door moves. Sadly I've been really sick and sleep deprived so I have been just putting her in there with a stuffed kong and closing the door at night. I sit next to her and she is fussy for a few minutes before settling down and I moved to the bed. She isn't a fan of it and won't go in on her own for the most part, and it doesn't have enough room to really lure her in all the way right now. (Its a big crate so right now it's blocked off its wider than it is deep)

+For housebreaking she is a champ. I'm only three days in so I can't really start to celebrate yet but I'm really impressed by how easy she is being for the moment. I'm taking her out about every 1-2 hours. (After she wakes up from sleeping/naps, a little while after food or if I notice her sniffing the ground a lot) Soon as her feet touch grass she will pee immediately. If she has to poop she needs about 3 minutes of walking around before she goes. Right now she has had two accidents in the house, but that was before I started to understand her warning signs. I picked her up soon as she squatted and carried her outside, where she would finish her business. Now she is starting to head towards the door when she has to go. Not all the time, but about 50% she just walks over on her own. Which makes me so happy!

+Name recognition I need to work more on it. She already seems to react when I say her name but I think she is picking up on my tone of voice. I'm planning on having some name recognition sessions this week.

+She hasn't acted like guarding anything yet, but thought it would be a good exercise to do. Right now its a little hard to get her attention when she is pulling on a tug or chewing on something. Soon as she noticed I have a treat she drops it and wags her little stump of a tail. She isn't connecting a drop it command to it...though I didn't expect her to yet.

+Come is difficult because she never leaves my side when she is out. I feel like I'm going to have to teach her stay first or recruit my BF for the game kikopup suggests for recall with two people. If she wanders off I say her name then come here. I still think she is only reacting to my tone of voice but it works which is nice.

+ For sit we are just using a lure right now. She pretty much got it within a single session. If I hold the treat above her nose she sits down and will wait about 5 seconds. I'm trying to extend that and associate the word sit with it and a hand cue but I can tell that connection is going to take a little while. She doesn't quite have a grasp on learning things yet. I can't wait to get my clicker to come in. But its going to take a few days for it to ship. (I hate the ones in stores around here they are so loud!)

Reactions: Rileysaur

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So training has been going well. I've kept up doing 5 minute training sessions at least 3 times a day. House training has been going great. Still under 10 accidents for the ~10 days we have her. No accidents in playpen or crate even though she does have a pee pad in her playpen. She has been left for up to 4.5 hours in the playpen and still no pottying in there! Very happy with that!

On top of that she slept through the entire night last night. We went to bed around 11pm and she didn't get up till 6am. I took her out she peed and I put her back in her crate because I was exhausted. She whined a tiny bit but then started chewing on the bully stick I gave her and let me sleep for another hour and a half! That was amazing.

She is occasionally starting to bite really hard, breaking skin. The yelping and stopping play seems to help a bit. She is getting very mouthy with me, but she isn't biting down on my hands as much. She also is starting to understand a 'no' cue as in whatever she is chewing on will be taken away and replaced with something else. She will stop what she is doing and will run over to play with a toy with some encouragement.

She has her sit and down understood, her stay is a work in progress but actually is coming along faster than I thought. (her attention span is still very small) Stand is coming along nicely, at first she was fidgety, moving around going from a sit->stand. Now she will keep her feet still as she gets her reward about 60% of the time. Her roll over is going well, requiring less lure and coaxing. I hoping to just add verbal/hand cues to that soon instead of luring.

Here is a video from us working today! This was about 3 minutes into our session and her attention span was waning. So I didn't get to show much for her down/stay because she was starting to get restless. I also really need to work on my timing with the clicker, I'm a bit slow with it. I haven't done much clicker training so the though to click comes a split second late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH22pmqf76U&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dog Mammal Dog breed Canidae Puppy

I'm going to write this out and try to pull out some positives, I'm a little frustrated with Aayla and its my own fault.

First of all she has started randomly squatting to pee without even looking for a place to go, which she has never done before. I may have missed the signs or not been fast enough a few times to get her out (causing accidents) but she has been predictable. Right now she will go out, will be playing/following me and about 10-20 minutes after going out she just drops to a squat and pees in the middle of whatever she is doing. Soooo she is back on a leash around the house and going out every hour instead of when she gets restless. I'm halfway worried that she has an UTI as it is out of the blue. I'm going to give it a few days and if she keeps doing it then I will take her into the vet.

Second I took her out to a park today to work on watching people and maybe some commands that she has down 100% at home...and dirt was so much more fun and tasty than the mass of kibble/treats I had. I could not keep her from eating the dirt clods. She would barely take anything from me. It was entirely frustrating, having her chew at the grass and dirt then run around like a mad woman. I have yet to find anything at all that really catches her attention. Most treats are even lower on interest level than her kibble!

Onwards to the good things.

I took her to her puppy socialization orientation last night. I was a little worried because some paperwork I got talked about some dominance topics. Which I was cautious on. But I was over the moon after going. It was only positive reinforcement, the girl I was working with has been to a few of Emily Larlham's workshops! (kikopup). She was pleasantly surprised that I was familiar with clicker training and luring for training. I just loved everything she said and how she worked with Aayla and me. So over the moon with them. Aayla didn't get to play because unfortunately I was unable to attend the age appropriate class and they were 4-6 months old. So we left when everyone showed up for socializing. I will get to start that a week from Saturday.

Aayla did great demonstrating her sit, down, and ease of being lured into figuring out her 'place'. She surprisingly was really into the treats that the trainer was giving, which I was slightly miffed about because I've been rotating treats like crazy trying to find something. Yet someone else's treats were amazing to her! Yet she did great with the distractions there and just loved saying hello to all the people there.

On to documenting what does and does not know so far. Aayla has picked up several new commands and tricks. So far its looking like :

Has down reliably away from home:
  • Sit
Has down reliably with some distractions at home:
  • Down
  • Down Stay
  • Roll over
  • Shake
  • Touch
  • Stand
Understands but working on consistency:
  • Sit Stay
  • Drop it
  • Go to bed (place)
Working on :
  • Leave it
  • Crawl
  • Beg
  • Heel
  • Sit while in the heel position

So overall these past three weeks have proven that she is amazing at learning. Really she could be much more of a terror than she is. Today is a bit of a downer but I still can't help but smile when she walks sideways towards me wagging her little nub.

Reactions: Shandula

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aayla bit me hard enough to cause punctures today. Ones that are deep enough that I scrubbed them out with antibacterial for worry of infection. I have work on restraint with her more. She stepped in poop this morning and wasn't happy about being hosed off. It wasn't an aggressive bite, she just wanted me to let go. It started off soft and she bit harder as she squirmed. Those puppy teeth are crazy!

Even more than that, I have to share a little accomplishment that was huge for Aayla today.

She freely offered a nice heel position and sitting in the heel position several times on the walk without being asked or lured into position. I have been working a lot on two things for our walks. One is a 'free' walk, which is allowing her to go anywhere and sniff anything within leash distance as long as she doesn't pull. She has figured it out quickly and stops soon as there is tension on the leash.

The second is her heel walk, which I have just began in the house with rewarding for being at my side and sitting at my side over the past week. It took her a while to understand sitting next to me without facing me. She was very confused but has it down pretty good now! she will also walk 5-10 feet in the heel position before getting distracted and I have to have her do something else.

Today I was letting her have her free walk and several times she would run to my side in the heel position and watch me. Then if I stopped she would run over to sit at my side! I just about could have cried with how proud I was!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I've heard people mention before (and I sadly used to believe it) that harness taught dogs to pull. They were too comfortable and didn't discourage the dog from pulling. Especially ones that attach at the back. I'm so glad that I am proving with Aayla that you can do just that. I bought a harness for her a week ago because I didn't like her getting yanked around by her neck when she did zoomies.

For two weeks now I have been working on loose leash training. Aayla gets two different walk settings. She has a free walk where she can go and sniff anything as long as she doesn't pull. Then she has a 'heel' walk which I want her attention on me. She is picking it up like a champ!

So to show how she is doing I strapped on a go-pro and walked around my neighborhood with her.

Reactions: Rileysaur and Sha

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Aayla has been doing wonderful with her training. She is coming so far with everything. The main issue we are having is her restlessness when at home. She actually is great about settling out at breweries and other places but at home she likes to pace. That more is a time thing I feel, going to start working on some tethering and capturing calmness as well as extending her walks to closer to 45 minutes and covering a mile.

House Breaking:
Doing really good, though I feel like I should knock on wood for that one. We did have one accident where she peed on the bed. That was my fault for letting her on the bed when she hadn't been out in a while. I kind of forget that she doesn't go up there often so her associating it with a no-potty zone didn't exist. The BF was pretty furious and it took some time to get him to realize it was not her fault and mine instead. Other than that she has been great, she goes to the door when she needs to be let out and we started training her for the doggy door and she even went out once on her own to pee this morning! I'm trying hard to keep watching her closely because I know we are not out of the danger zone yet. She is only 3 months old today.

Greeting people/dogs
This is going to be her biggest problem by far. She loves everyone, to the point that she can't keep her feet on the ground. She wants to climb all over dog's faces and jump up on people. We are not doing the best at discouraging it at home. The BF loves enthusiastic greetings, and its been hard to convince him otherwise. I have to pick and choose my battles with him. Its really hard when she is so small now and so happy. Yet he is already starting to get fed up of the clawing and jumping. Maybe I can convince him to work harder on a no jumping rule. With strangers it is harder because no one listens to the 'if she jumps do not pet her'. So we've been working on a sit before greeting. It calms her down a bit, gets her attention on me and people respect that more or don't want to wait and leave. I can't wait until her final shots so I can go into more public places.

Obedience training:
Her sit is wonderful, her lay down is fairly consistent (still requires luring sometimes) and her stay/wait is great for a puppy. Even started a sit/wait/come training over a big distance away from home and she did great! I was very impressed. She loves chasing so the come is natural if I take a few steps backwards when I call her. I have also figured out that most new places are too over stimulating for her and I can't get her to focus. Went to a different park today and she was very into looking around and trying to eat all the clumps of grass. Yet I got a few heel steps, sitting in a heel position, and lay downs out of her. I tried to not push it and kept it very simple with luring. There were other people and two other dogs. She wanted to run over to say hi, but with a little encouragement I could get her to break her concentration on them to come to me for a treat, so that's great! Her heel is pretty wonderful, though we are hitting a bit of a slump with adding extended time in the heel position or heeling with distractions. She is getting used to 5-10 steps then a different command (sit/turn/release) that I loose her then. Then if a dog barks (which she is still afraid of) or she sees a person or dog the heel is gone. It takes a few moments to convince her that pulling will get her no where too. I need to work on watch me and place. I've been lazy about those two.

Tricks
We have down shake, high five and roll over. We are still working on understanding wave (without standing up), roll over (without trying to bite my hand off) and crawl. Then we have started on placing her front feet on an object (book) on cue. She has been doing well with that one. Soon we will start with back up and then get her rear legs on objects for some hind end awareness.

Harness
Aayla does hate getting her harness on. We actually have been doing a lot of CC for that. I don't think she likes the feel of it, but I'm thinking its a puppy thing. Once its on she is happy to get out but taking it on and off seems to make her skin crawl. I don't like other harnesses on her or just using the collar she gets too many zoomies moments and hits the end of the leash hard. This harness does great to not yank on her neck.

Overall things are going great with her! So much progress!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is not enough words I can say with how much I love this girl. She is so smart, so eager to please, and so loving. I can't even believe how lucky I am to have a pup like her. I should really knock on wood because we haven't hit adolescence yet... :ponder: I have been very sick the past two days, I haven't really moved much from the couch or the bed. I was worried about Aayla not getting much playtime or any walks. She has so much energy and gets restless without walks. Yet she has been a doll, she spent almost all of yesterday sleeping on my bed with me. Then today she has been mostly content with playing with her toys and hanging out though she did find a place in the backyard for digging. I need to buy some bricks to fill up the spaces along the fence.

Overall her puppy classes are going well and the last class we were at she got tons of compliments! They were surprised how well she settled on her mat as well as knowing her sit, stand and lay down. For the first time in a high distraction area (other excitable puppies, people talking in high voices, squeakers) she walked on a loose leash in the heel position.

Has down reliably away from home:
  • Sit
  • Lay Down
  • Down Stay
  • Shake (both legs)
  • High Five
  • Touch
  • Stand
  • Come
  • Spin (both directions)
Has down reliably with some distractions at home:
  • Roll over
  • Sit Stay
  • Drop it
  • Go to bed (place)
  • Heel
  • Sit while in the heel position
  • Front Paws placement (on box)
  • Back up
Understands but working on consistency:
  • Leave it
  • Crawl
  • Rear Paw Touch (shake-right leg great, left leg iffy)
  • Give me ten
Working on :
  • Spinning while keeping front paws on box
  • Pivot with front legs still (using box)
  • Stand Stay
  • Beg
  • Pick up item
  • Back legs on box
  • Bow

Our biggest problem is her jumping up on everyone. She just loves people so much that she jumps all over them. Trying to convince people to wait to pet her is like asking them to spit on a child. I try and hold her back but everyone does drive by pets and rewards her for crying and jumping up on them. If they wait a moment I can convince her to sit but soon as they move to pet her she jumps again. No one except my family will wait for her to learn that not jumping=pets. Pshhhhh people. I feel like I need a squirt bottle for people. It would sure be effective!

We have gone over a week without an accident (knock on wood) she now uses the doggy door and takes herself out when she needs to go.

Bite inhibition is okay. She rarely bites at hands or legs for me (still can't convince the BF to stop encouraging it. But she doesn't do it with strangers). Yet her grabbing treats or missing toys sometimes ends in puncture wounds. It hurts pretty bad. We are working on treats with yelping when she gets my hand (she reacts very positively, and immediately stops and steps back) and holding onto the treat until she takes it nicely.

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

I have to say that I never thought puppy raising would be this rewarding. Then again I have to consider that I have a really good puppy. Training helps, really helps to shape your puppy into the dog you want them to be. At the same time this has a lot to do with genetics. The puppy's personality, energy level and drive are all things you can not change. Every dog is unique and what is easy for one can be hard for another.

Today alone she showed how much she is growing into the dog I want her to be. Over the past two weeks I have taken her to a leashed dog beach and on two hikes. Both situations that could prove to be overwhelming. The ocean can be a scary place for dogs, The water jumps up and comes after you! I have been nervous wondering if Aayla would like the water. My most previous dog Dyno, liked getting his paws wet but swimming was torture. Going out on hiking trips when your dog won't cross a mellow body of water was obnoxious. I always ended up having to drag him in, as much as I tried to get him to like swimming I just came to the conclusion that he wasn't much of a water dog. Aayla loved it, she got over her initial fear of the waves quickly. She spent a majority of the time doing zoomies around me. I felt like I was lunging a horse that had been on stall rest. She even swam because she ran straight into the water not knowing that the bank dropped off suddenly. She didn't seem too bothered by it, swam back to shore and continued her running. Yet at the same time she couldn't really focus on me, I tried a few watch mes but it just wasn't going through. She was a bit over-stimulated. So I was just the leash holder.

Then we went on our first hike and she really show me how good she was. It was very crowded with lots of dogs, kids and mountain bikers. I did a lot of LAT games and a lot of watch me's. She handled it really well. The bikes zooming past didn't scare her she didn't pull and was curious about everything. Even had some out of control kids com running up and surprise petting her. She was just happy to say hello to the kids, though I did mention that they always had to ask before petting...a little pointedly at the parents.

Our second hike was even better. She was offering a lot of heel walking and watch me all on her own without being asked. It was amazing. I ended up finding a field that I could see all around and there was no one there. So I ventured to take her off leash because she was so in tune with me. She was amazing! Got a lot of zoomies and sprinting around but still stayed close to me and came every time I called. I was just about to cry with how happy I was with her. She was really engaged with me. I have not taken her to any off-leash areas yet because she hasn't shown any behaviors like checking in, or focusing on where I was going. Yet she has earned more trust in my books. I think a future day at the off leash dog beach may be in order.

Then today was even better. I was training at the local park when a lady came by with an off leash dog. I have noticed a lot of off leash dogs in that park. People kind of treat it like an off-leash park sometimes. Yet there is never more than 3-4 dogs at a time. Its almost all fenced in and very big. Aayla pulled and wanted really bad to play with the other dog as it ran around us. The lady said I should let her off leash to play. I was hesitant because I know her recall if 50/50 if she is playing with another dog. So while the dog was sprinting around I called Aayla and told her to heel. Surprisingly she broke her stare on the other dog (she was 10' away on her long line) sprinted over to sit at my side. So I decided to let her off. She had so much fun playing with that dog and another that joined us. The dogs were very well socialized and perfect for Aayla to play with. I also tested the waters and called her a few times and she came every single time. She also checked in with me several times and also noticed when I was walking away from her while she played with the other dogs and she followed me instead of continuing to play. So proud of this girl! She is just amazing!

Reactions: Shandula

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its been a while since I have done just a regular update on how Aayla has been doing. Work, training and life has proved difficult to move around to fit in blogging.

Yet so far we have been doing a lot. We have met a lot of doggy friends and gone on lots of adventures. Our list of hiking trails covered is growing and also some beach excursions. I have recently met up with several other Instagram dogs and they are active people who enjoy hiking with their dogs, so its fun to go out with other people. Aayla most of the time is great socializing with other dogs. She seems to be picking up on what dogs do and don’t want to play with her and mostly respecting that. If she gets a correction from another dog she respects it. I can’t say she does that for Kota. In her defense Kota has very subtle differences from his play vs. his leave me alone behavior. He pretty much acts the same. Though at the dog beach she did get attacked by a dog that apparently was not a dog friendly dog…at a dog beach/dog park. The whole island is off leash and you can bring your dog anywhere else and everyone respects the idea to keep their dogs to themselves. Yet that lady brought her dog inside the gated dog park. Luckily Aayla only got a few small scratches, yet she was pretty frightened by the whole ordeal. She hasn’t shown any lingering signs of fear though.

Talking about fear though, my gosh she has hit her fear stage. Manholes, storm drains (how does she know that there is one there when we are on the sidewalk and its under us?) slippery floors…and stomping feet. So doing a lot of confidence building with all of these situations. We had to put a rug down next to couch for her to walk on the floors and not slip.

Yet onto the positives, I don’t want to curse myself but I want to say Aayla is 100% potty trained. She hasn’t had an accident in a two months, and this is walking in tons of places other than our house. My mother’s house, breweries, and my work. She also is coming a long with her training, the other day I woke up and she just seemed so much more mature. She is doing great with her attention on me, she is learning new things quickly and I can tell how hard she is thinking now to figure out what I want. It also makes her happy to please, she seems proud in herself when she gets her reward.

We still are having some issues with impulse control around other people and dogs within a 10 feet radius but that is so much better from her 60 feet radius from before. I imagine it will take aging before we can get that under control, until then we will continue to work on it. There are moments where she surprises me, like passing a dog and obeying her leave it command, or recall in a high distraction area. She is really turning into a fantastic dog and I can’t be more proud of her. Yesterday she was recalling off of my sister’s cats who like to get close and then sprint away from her. It was very hard for her and she whined and complained but did it anyways. So proud!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.