Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I received a 9 week old puppy for my birthday around a month ago. I love him to bits and he has definitely fit right into my family (feels like he's been here the whole time, haha). The only two issues I have are as follows:

- What breed is he exactly? He was given to me by my parents who were told that the dog was a Lurcher... Unfortunately that is all the breed info the previous owners gave. Having spent a month with the little guy, I see a lot of terrier traits in him and have a feeling he may be crossed with something. Can you guys tell from the video/pics I uploaded what his breed may be?

- What shall I name him? Unfortunately he's gone a month without a name and I really don't want to have to leave it much longer as I'd like for him to get used to his new name. I just haven't been able to think of a name right enough for him, and every time I come up with something I start to dislike it five minutes later. It kinda needs to be a name which won't be embarassing to shout out to call him back if I take him for a walk in the future, and need him to get back on his lead. For example, I don't want to be shouting "Hey Chewbacca, come here" or anything like that, haha.

His traits are (which may help you find a name for him):

- He whines CONSTANTLY. As soon as I leave him in a room for even just 10 seconds while I pop to the bathroom or something, he starts crying. I think he is just desperate for attention, which being self employed I have more than enough time to do of course.

- He play bites CONSTANTLY also. I am currently in the process of trying to get him to stop biting so much whenever somebody strokes him, but no luck yet. He doesn't ever put any force down on his bites, but to get my hands and face covered in puppy spit every time I go near him gets a bit tiresome at times :D.

- He is brindle/orangey brown coloured.

Short video of him - TinyUpload.com - best file hosting solution, with no limits, totaly free

Thank you guys, much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
615 Posts
Staffy cross ? He's a little young so see as he gets older with height/weight you will soon have a better idea as to what he is.
Very sweet boy though!
As for names, its ok to not have a name yet, see what his personality is like, things he likes to do , you will have a name soon!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think he's a little young to tell, but I am thinking maybe Greyhound AmStaff cross. I'm probably not correct but thought I'd put my two cents in.

Some names I think are cute:
Odell
Beck
Leith
Scully (It means town crier LOL)
Devin
Gallagher

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
call him "Karl", noone would laugh about the King of all Franks. ;)

Are Hollandse Herder common in your area? he looks a bit like one.

·
Registered
917 Posts
He's cute. Is there a reason you don't think he is a lurcher? They are a cross breed. Sight hound mixed with another breed, often terrier. For names, what kind of names do you like? People names? Places? Movies, books, video game characters? I normally use people names. But sometimes other things influence me. Make a list of names you like and then narrow it down from there.

·
Registered
669 Posts
He looks very pitty to me, I would agree that an staffordshire terrier/sighthound cross seems like a likely mix. There's nothing that makes me think he isn't a lurcher of some kind, and a lurcher seems like a strange thing for someone to claim a dog to be if he isnt (false purebreds are more common from backyard breeders, lurcher is a very vague description that isn't going to raise the price of the puppies any so why both).

Names that come to mind:
Oscar
Benny
Billie
Scout
Scooter
Lenny
Chewy
Abernathy (call him Ben)
Till

·
Registered
951 Posts
Back hundreds of years ago when there were a lot of restrictions on the peasants, lurcher was a cross between a sight-hound (greyhound or whippet) and a terrier, it was commonly used by poachers to chase and catch rabbits. The sighthound gave speed and eye, while the terrier gave grit and gumption...plus made the dog look like just another mutt vs a 'nobleman's dog'. the other common lurcher was a sighthound crossed with a collie for brains and trainability but also used for poaching.

Lately, however, I've read that people started crossing sighthounds with various pitbull terriers and calling those lurchers. Then it progressed to any pitbull mix being termed lurcher.

I suspect you have a pitbull type mixed with a more common dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.

I asked my parents about the dog breed again and they said they told me he was a lurcher because he is a Saluki Greyhound mixed with something else, but they're not sure what. The previous owner apparently was quite vague also. I didn't realise 'Lurcher' meant sight hound mixed with something else, but I guess that's what my parents were referring to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts