Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Border Tollie is now seven months old and for the past month to six weeks has been eating his meals as soon as they're served, drinking water, behaving as expected one day to the next day refusing to eat anything, barely drinking and vomiting up clear/very slightly milky fluid and whatever treats he's been given for toileting. The next day he won't eat, won't drink, sleeps all day and is really lethargic to suddenly the next day being completely fine and eating and drinking properly again.

It seems to be a weekly cycle but it's definitely not a normal one and I'm getting very concerned about it. He seems to be fine in himself, he greets us as he usually would, runs around and plays on the non-lethargic days, cuddles us and gives kisses and is his usual affectionate self. His eyes are clear, he doesn't appear to be in any pain and even after vomiting he seems fine, but will then vomit again and again.

I've considered the vet, but then he seems completely healthy and happy and eats and drinks so I'm at a loss as to what to do and whether it's just a thing that happens around this age. Any ideas.?

·
Registered
74 Posts
It certainly doesn't sound normal.

I'd phone the vet and ask their advice, even if he's OK in himself. He could have allergies or something that's upsetting his stomach.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I'm definitely going to consult the vet. Last night he had projectile diarrhoea, and again at 3am this morning. Now at 8.30am, he's eaten his breakfast normally and seems back to his normal energetic, playful self. :unsure:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's acorn poisoning. Pup will eat anything and everything he can reach, and unfortunately we're surrounded by oak trees. The streets are littered with green and brown acorns and their cups, which pup has been eating pretty much every time he goes out for walkies. As much as we try to stop him eating stuff off the streets, he always manages to grab something and has been regularly poisoning his system with acorns, cigarette butts, dead flower heads and the usual street detritus. The vet gave him a laxative to force the remaining undigested acorns out of his intestinal tract.
Now he's going to be muzzled every time he leaves the house.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Oh my goodness I'm glad you found the answer.
I've just been reading on social media about the dog here who died after eating one toadstool that was growing through the tiles in the garden.
This time of year seems to be full of natural hazards for our pups.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Ours had symptoms not that different, she started with diarrhea, which seemed on and off, then she literally emptied her colon, but kept trying to poop, over and over. Then yesterday she started with practically non-stop vomiting. At this point I called our Vet took her there late yesterday. Since she has had pancreatitis that was my suspicion and our Vets too. After many many tests and Xrays, and fluid injections for de-hydration he put her on several meds to help her feel better. Today the bloodwork showed it is not pancreatitis, but she managed to wind up with a severe intestinal infection for which she is on antibiotics. Vet instructed no food or water until this morning, though she was not interested in eating. At least the diarrhea and vomiting had stopped, so she slept and slept, then awakened, had a small snack and has been asleep since. Vet says, recovery will be slow, as the infection was quite pervasive. I think/hope, she is on the road to recovery. Very traumatic for all of us, and poor little dog really suffered with this. Its good to see her peacefully sleeping now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts