Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I have known about this bad habit for a while. Julie gets into trash when we're not in the same room. The kitchen trash can is fine since it's high up and she can't knock it over. The problem is with every other trash can in the house even if it's lidded or heavy. I've tried taste deterrents, food distractions, and giving her attention and everything else I could think of. I don't like to use harsh aversives but I'm coming to the conclusion that I have to make the trash itself unpleasant enough that she doesn't dare mess with it again. I want to clarify that I do not want her to think the trash is just a respect thing for myself and others of the household. She is a golden angel in behavior when we're present.

How do I make the trash itself scary or extremely unpleasant? I've tried every commercial taste deterrent. They don't seem to work.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I had a dog that would do that- best way is not to have bins around the house- just use the one inside & one outside. You dont want stinky or scary bins inside as your house will reek & scaring your dog is not a good way to teach. Also the stinkier the better is what dogs think. If you've got a bunch of tissues etc you can put them in a bag in a drawer & when its full put it out. But any food etc try to get it in the big bin outside.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts