Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. What size and breed is your dog? (E.G Small/medium/large/extra large)
2. How do you handle your dog? - Halti? Harness? Collar and lead? Carry cage/handbag? Other? Why do you use this method?
3. Would you say your animal is aggressive towards other animals or people in any way?
4. Where did you get your dog and why did you pick that certain breed/size of dog?
5. Do you think celebrities and their animals affect people's choice of dog and how they handle them? Please explain why you think this.

This survey is for an investigative project I am doing and it would greatly help me if you could take the time to answer these questions.
Thank you!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Medium sized (35 lbs or so) and is a mutt of some sort. No real idea of her background as she was picked up as a pup off the streets but we describe her as a border collie x spaniel
2. How do you handle your dog? - Halti? Harness? Collar and lead? Carry cage/handbag? Other? Why do you use this method?
For day to day walks she's just on her collar and lead although that's just until we're far enough out of the residential area that she can go off leash. She's extremely well behaved on the leash and is very sensitive to any pressure so all our walking is "loose leash" walking. When we're out hiking, she has a harness she wears. This is so that if we need to help her scramble up a difficult area that there's a good handle we can grab hold of.
3. Would you say your animal is aggressive towards other animals or people in any way?
Not in the slightest. She is a bit wary of people she doesn't know,in which case she keeps a bit of distance between her and them. She's also becoming a little nervous of German Shepherds as there are a few aggressive ones we've encountered on our walks but again, her reaction is just to keep a wide berth. If she's on the leash, I don't let new people or intimidating dogs get close to her since she can't escape. If new people do approach, she just makes herself small -- i've never seen her lash out.
4. Where did you get your dog and why did you pick that certain breed/size of dog?
We got her from a rescue. We knew we wanted something 6 mos + (out of total puppyhood) that was active and energetic, affectionate, and easy to train. We got all of that and more. SHe's the best behaved dog we've ever had and we can't really take any credit for that.
5. Do you think celebrities and their animals affect people's choice of dog and how they handle them? Please explain why you think this.
For us, definitely not. But for people who are very interested in celebrities and look up to them in other aspects of life, I'm sure there is some influence. I can't really speak on the matter though as I don't even know who most famous people are!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
1. Medium-40 lbs
2. Harness. I use a Kurgo car harness because it's sturdy and can be used as a regular harness. It's convenient I don't have to take anything off or on her when we go places.
3. No, she's very friendly. She will chase cats but otherwise very sweet.
4. She was a 'foster failure' from an animal shelter. I was supposed to keep her for 2 weeks as a puppy and give her back to be adopted by someone else. She was too smart, sweet, and high energy to give up. I loved her too much and since she was so smart and high energy I knew she was a dog that can be easily ruined by many people and I couldn't bear for that to happen. I didn't really 'choose' her for breed or looks or anything, she is what needed a foster home. However my mom who I love with said she only wanted a female and I kept her for her personality.
5. A bit, and it depends on the celebrity. If the person fancies themselves a 'dog' person (like Cesar Milan) or is wildly famous or a person of power (like the president) then yes. I think seeing certain female celebrities carry small dogs in bags gives the impression they are accessories, not animals that need exercise and training. But I think more than celebrities movies make and TV make people want certain breeds because they immaturely want a dog like that. It's often a dog that does not fit with their lifestyle at all and ends up in a shelter. This is what caused the horrible 101 Dalmatian problem in the 90s and so many people are getting. Huskies are also now being bought and put on shelters because Game of Thrones and werewolf movies are popular.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Just realized my phone made me make several mistakes in that post. Whoops. And forgot to add in my dog is a Cattlw Dog mix, just a mutt really.

·
Registered
662 Posts

Extra large, 200lbs. English Mastiff

Collar or harness depending on circumstances, definitely not in a handbag.

No, not at all. But I think there is a difference between aggression (which can be a trait that is bred) for and fear which can result in a dog acting in an aggressive manner.

Hobby breeder. My daughter and her BF owned a Mastiff, my dog's grandmother, so when one of her daughters was bred I decided to get a puppy from the litter.

Perhaps for some, but it wouldn't influence me in the least.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
One is medium, 55 pounds, Australian Shepherd. The other is small (for now), 30 pounds, Border Collie.
Both dogs are walked using harnesses, I use the Ruffwear Front Range. I prefer harnesses over collars simply because I prefer to not have excess pressure on their necks as they are learning to walk nicely.
Neither. In fact, I wouldn't mind if they were a bit more standoffish in their desire to say hello to everyone.
Both of my dogs are from registered breeders. I love herding breeds, so getting an Aussie and a BC was a no-brainer for me.
I'm sure it does for some people. I know there was a boom in Chihuahua ownership years ago because of Paris Hilton. I think movies have a lot to do with a breed's popularity. For example, "Babe" came out, and Border Collie ownership soared. Which turned out to be a huge disaster for the breed, since people were not prepared for what a BC required.

Reactions: kricketjolliff

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I guess large, she's a 32 kg (70 lb) Lab/Border Collie/Aussie? mix - I'm certain their is another shepherd in there somewhere as well.

Harness, various types (front clip, back clip) depending on what we're working on. Because it gives my dog more freedom of movement than a collar, it also prevent damage to her neck in the event she were to pull suddenly.

She's not aggressive, but definitely fear reactive towards certain breeds/dogs. Some she gets along fine with, others we need to avoid all together. In the 3 years I've had her, I've learnt her signals to know which dogs are going to be a problem. I like to say she has a large space bubble and she has no time for rude in your face dogs.

Her mom was dropped off at a local shelter with a litter of 9 pups - she had been dropped off on the man by his SIL, I officially adopted her from that shelter and her foster mom. I was originally going to get a smaller dog, because that seemed reasonable, but when I met Tessa's litter I knew she was the one coming home with me

Most definitely. People see a well behaved dog on screen and they think that's what all dogs are like, which they aren't. They see Lassie and think all collies are going to be that super dog, all border collies are just like the one that appear in Babe, that all Dalmatians are great. People rarely put any effort into research a dog's breed, it's purpose. They also rarely look at their lifestyle and realize what dog will work. Sure English Bulldogs are cute, but they aren't exactly the dog for an avid runner. Just the same a Border collie is better suited for a working/sport home than a high rise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
1. What size and breed is your dog?
Large, 82 lb, st. Bernard/hound mix
Medium, 45 lb, hound mix
Medium, 40 lb, pit bull mix
Small, 14 lb, poodle mix

2. How do you handle your dog? - Halti? Harness? Collar and lead? Carry cage/handbag? Other?
Harness, specifically no pull freedom harness. Preference.

First two are "stranger danger". Better with time and training, but still not trustworthy.
The second two, no. Not at all.

Shelters and the smallest from SPCA. I picked my largest for his size and overall goofy personality. The smallest hound and pit mix were foster fails via myself and my boyfriend, respectively. The hound does awesome with hiking and the pit mix is a nice balance of absolute friendliness. I worked at my local SPCA when my poodle mix came in and it was love at first sight.

I think they can, for those that regularly watch what celebrities do (in the same way that a person might decide to buy from a designer because they favorite celebrity wears that designer.. so, if their favorite celebrity carries a little poodle in their purse, they may find that something to do). The media in general can affect a person's animal choice.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Small 11.7lb Dachshund x Chihuahua

A VelPro Mesh ChokeFree Harness. He has a very sensitive trachea and it's the only harness that I've found that fits, that he doesn't mind wearing, and that won't choke him.

He is fear aggressive towards people he does not know, and large dogs. I am working to lessen his fear and therefore his aggressive response, and he is a lot better then he was a year ago, but he will still have outburst if he's been stressed or scared by something during the day. He's most reactive in the neighborhood I live in and hardly reactive at all at the park or pet friendly stores.

He was given to me by a friend, who got him from her grown daughter, who got him from her father who's Dachshund had an opps litter with the fence climbing neighbors Chihuahua (friend and father are divorced). I've had him since he was a year old. I did not set out to get a Dach x Chi, but my friend couldn't keep him and I knew with his reactivity that he needed a home with someone who knew how to work with him so I said I'd take him.

Celebrities not so much, movies and T.V. shows yes. I don't see to many people following certain celebrities and then running out to get the dogs that the celebrity has. Paris Hilton was a noted exception though. I do see movies or T.V. shows featuring dogs influencing people's choice of dogs, often not for the better, especially if the movie or show is aimed towards children. Collies because of Lassie, St. Bernards because of Beethoven, Chihuahuas due to Beverly Hills Chihuahua, Labradors in Air Buddy, Jack Russel Terriers due to Fraiser, and the big one that pretty much nearly destroyed a breed 101 Dalmatians.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a large street dog mutt and a small chihuahua/dachshund/terrier/mini pin mutt puppy.

Collar or harness for the large one depending on the activity, harness for the small.

3. Would you say your animal is aggressive towards other animals or people in any way? Large dog is reactive to most strange dogs outdoors. Fine with people and smaller animals. Small dog is overly friendly with everything.

Rescue, and rehome. The large rescue just worked out that way. The small dog I chose specially for size. Cheaper long term and also my large dog does better with small ones.

Yes, for sure. As well as movies and television shows.
When Paris Hilton was popular purse-living chihuahuas became the norm. Then a few celebrities got Bulldogs and pugs and those got more popular as well. Then look at what movies do, like 101 Dalmatians and Lassie. They caused a huge influx of Dals and Collies.

·
Registered
917 Posts
XL-Great Dane 110+lbs, Med/L Lab/English Pointer mix 65lbs, Med. Basset Hound 49lbs

I use a head collar with the dane, not a halti, more like a gentle leader but a different brand. We are working on walking with the collar, but she is so strong that she could easily pull me over. So the head collar is more for safety. I switch between a collar and harness with the mix. Right now it's a collar, he's been walking much better. A collar on the basset too, he walks nicely.

No, the dane loves everyone. People or animals. The basset doesn't care one way or the other, unless people have treats. Most dogs he ignores. The mix is reactive on the leash towards some dogs. He's been attacked at least half a dozen times by small dogs. But he is not aggressive towards them, he would rather run. With people he either loves someone or ignores them.

The mix came from a pet store, the basset was given to me. He is also a puppy mill dog. The dane came from a breeder. The mix was an impulse buy, in a way. I was having issues with the shelter when I wanted to adopt. The vet couldn't find my records. I'd seen my mom go through hell with rescues and IMO most are too invasive. I was upset and frustrated and saw this bouncy little pup. I don't regret getting him. I didn't pick the basset exactly, but I couldn't turn him down. I had always wanted a dane, I love the looks, the size. And their traits fit what I wanted. They are mellow, friendly, handler focused, good with other animals.

For others, yes no doubt. People are obsessed with celebrities and Hollywood. I think it's probably more movies. They think every dog is going to be like the ones in the movies.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Medium, a very thin 45 lbs

Collar and lead, our yard has an wireless fence. Collar and lead are the easiest now she's trained. Did use a halti but she hated it and it reversed training work.

No, if anything the opposite, she is overly affectionate

I wanted a smaller dog, but she was cute and non-aggressive towards prey animals.

Having seen the 101 dalmatians craze, yes, but I never bought into that. I would love a Shiba Inu because of several Shiba owners I know, but I worry about what the doge meme has done to the breed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Kizzie - 50lb female Basenji mix with a dash of GSD or Malinois in her
Huckleberry - 60lb male Cattle Dog mix

I use a harness on both dogs. I don't have to worry about them injuring their neck if they should pull. For the most part, they both walk reasonably well using the harness and I don't have to worry about them pulling out of it like with a collar.

Both have shown Zero aggression towards people.

Kizzie is a hunter, so I don't trust her around other animals or even small dogs, although she's never done anything other than growl at small dogs. She's very friendly and playful with other dogs medium and up in size. She shares toys through the fence with the Aussie mix next door.

Huckleberry is a bit deceptive. 99.9% of the time he's very mild mannered and friendly. I don't think I'd have any issue with another animal or dog that's part of our pack, no matter the size. But it turns out he is very protective of me and especially Kizzie and he has shown a Cujo side, twice in the 2 years I've had him. Once when an off leash Weim charged us, growling and snarling at us. His response looked and sounded so ferocious the Weim backed down and a fight was averted. And recently on a camping trip with both dogs, a big dog that was passing us on a trail was rude to Kizzie and Huckle went ballistic trying to go after the other dog. My partner was barely able to hold onto him to prevent a dog fight.

Normally I take the dogs separate to the park to walk and I have never had Huckle be anything but friendly to other dogs we pass (except for the Weim incident).

I got both dogs from the County Shelter. Before I rescued from the shelter, I had a 90lb Collie, who collapsed at home one day. I had to wait for a friend to get to my house to help me lift him into the car to rush him to the vet. After the trauma of that incident I decided I would not have dogs I couldn't lift on my own in an emergency.

So after the Collie passed away I went to the shelter with the criteria that the dog be under 50lbs, short haired and preferably a herding type breed, because of my experience with my Collies. I had Cairn Terriers before the Collies, which I also adored, so terrier like breeds would also be considered.

Kizzie was listed as a GSD mix and she does have either GSD or Malinois in her, so there's the herding connection. Her temperament actually leans more towards the Basenji though. She reminds me a lot of the Cairns. But she is very smart and trainable like my experience with herding breeds. I ultimately chose her, because I whistled for her to come to me, when outside getting to know her, and she leaped into my lap and knocked me over and showered me with kisses. She is a character that dog and brings a zest of life to our household.

Huckleberry is herding breed through and through. He reminds me so much of my Collies. We call him the "Golden boy", because he's so well behaved. Yep very much Collie-like. My beloved Collie that had passed away was a Blue Merle and I have to admit I was very drawn to the blue coloring. Ultimately I picked him though, because he was extremely friendly and wanted to play and interact with me. He had a very similar play style to Kizzie, so I thought they'd be very suited for each other. And they absolutely adore each other.

I should also note that both dogs were about 40lbs when I got them from the shelter and approx 1 year in age. As they matured, Kizzie ended up at 50lbs and that's an optimum weight for her. Huckleberry is 60lbs and needs to lose a few, so he'd be closer to my desired 50lbs.

I have to agree with other posters that movies and TV are more influential than a celebrity and their dog. I know I loved Cairns and Collies because of Toto and Lassie and ended up with both breeds. I always wanted a Rough Collie because of Lassie and an Old English Sheepdog because of Lord Nelson on the Doris Day show. I however am at least aware enough of my short comings to know I should never get a dog that needs that much grooming. So no Rough Collies or OES in my past or future. The Collies I had were Smooths.

I totally get the allure of wanting a dog like the ones you fall in love with from the movies or TV. And I did get a Collie that ended up being about as close to the myth of Lassie that any person could hope to have, so those dreams can come true. The two Cairns were pretty dang close to what one would expect from a Toto dog too. But... I had a Collie that wasn't quite as Lassie like either. With training and maturity, he ended up being just the most wonderful dog. I did have terriers before him, so he wasn't that huge of a challenge, but I can imagine someone expecting Lassie, could have been in for a rude awakening with him.

·
Registered
62 Posts
He is not yet fully grown, but I think he will stay medium (?). Around 23ish kilos at 9 months old. He is a cattle x staffy x ridgeback to my knowledge. May have other stuff in him.

A harness. I find it more comfortable when the lead comes off his back, rather than dangling down his throat.

No, Despite being attacked twice, once without the other owner interveing so that he got bite mRks on his face, he loves all dogs and humans. He lets little kids pat him and play with him, but when he plays he would knock them over.

He is from a rescue organization. I picked him, because he was very calm for a puppy and i wanted a medium to large sized dog and just liked him when i met him.

No i dont think so. I would not know a single person who bouht a dog because a celebrety has that type of dog. Most often i hear the reason that they want it to be a family dog, or an agility dog.

·
Registered
500 Posts

My dog weights 23 kg (50 lbs) and she is 57 cm (22.4 in) tall. She is a Rough Collie.

Most often Alva wears a wide martingale collar and 2 m long leather leash on walks but she can also use a Y harness. If I use a retractable leash, I prefer harness. Alva is a nice and obedient dog so she could as well be off-leash.

I like martingale because it is easy to slip on and off. Its width makes it more comfortable and less risky for her neck and it is easier to find among her ruffles than a narrow collar. I don't like fumbling with buckles, especially in winter or rain.

The harness offers me less physical control over the dog but it is more tolerant towards constant strain or sudden jerks. The clip attachment on her back also reduces tangling when I use the retractable leash.

Alva is not aggressive if she is not threatened. She can though tell off overexcited male dogs rather harshly. She loves meeting other dogs and humans are always an opportunity to get petted or find a pocket full of treats. This though does not mean that I would expect her to tolerate unfamiliar rowdy children or clueless/intoxicated adults without guidance or let my nephew climb on her.

Alva is from a breeder. I was thinking about getting a dog and I was supposed to study different breeds to find the most suitable for me. At the moment I only knew it would be FCI 1, a herding breed. Then I saw pics of some collie puppies on a forum. I wandered to the breeder's website where she had described the dam. I read it carefully and thought that if the puppy would be like its mother, it could be a good pick for me. Two weeks later I contacted the breeder and asked if any of the pups were still free. I got the last one she had spared for someone who is interested in sports.

My parents later asked me "Why didn't you take 'that smaller version' (Sheltie)". I don't have a car. I had thought I might get a car later and I like medium sized dogs. Alva is not a small dog, but she is rather easy to transport even though I refuse to have a vehicle (and I don't need one). Any bigger and it would get difficult.

I have no idea. Someone might think a famous movie dog has affected my own choice of breed but I might have ended up with this dog anyways.

I though suspect that a local "celebrity" has adopted the idea of keeping tiny dogs as accessories from American celebrities like Paris Hilton. That to be really glamorous and celebrity-like, you have to have a chihuahua, yourkie mix or a pug. This celeb is notorious for her irresponsible lifestyle and she does not treat her dogs well.

Most dog owners I know either do sports like obedience or agility so they are knowledgeable or they have companion dogs which are usually retrievers, shepherds, spaniels, spitzes or mixed-breds. So I don't know anyone, who might have gotten a dog just because it is cool.

I read a post above and dvelve a bit deeper into the Rough Collie and Lassie thing. I loved the series when I was a kid, I had read the book like a dozen times and watched any movie I could get my hands on. But I did not live through the Lassie boom. The breed had already been destroyed by show breeding and breeding for those who wanted their own Lassie when I got involved with dogs. when I got my puppy, I hoped I would pick the gold nuggett from the litters bred to be fluffy inside and outside. I did grow up with two Belgians which probably gave me a realistic perspective into dog ownership. I treated my puppy like any other dog and expected no more, no less than from any other dog. And I was positively surprised. Alva clearly is not half-human like Lassie appears on TV but she shares some traits with the film collies. I got my Lassie even though she will never save my or anyone's life.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts