Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Im jhay, and my Malinois name is Chloe.. I signed up to this forum to see if someone could help me or teach me something about belgian malinois breed.. I am more concern about her weight gain per age at the moment, because she just got her 1st vaccine at 6 weeks old..

Any replies are much appreciated, THANK YOU. . .

Sincerely,
Jhay

·
Registered
254 Posts
Puppies, like human children, grow at different rates. Weight isn't so much about lbs but rather how it's fitting onto the body. Feel ribs rather than see ribs is still a good guideline. Little puppy tummies will get fat after eating no matter the breed. My uncle had a litter of dogs and even though their mutt parents were the same size the dogs varied from 40lbs to 90lbs and all are very healthy adults today. There's not going to be that much variant in a purebred, but a 20lbs swing is very common. Just keep an eye on how your dog is doing, feed by it's weight (if healthy) and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Olivia's owner,

Thank you for responding to my thread.. I may over thinking that she is getting leaner because she's not eating that much. What would be the best dog food I can give to her to increase her appetite? I am also considering the best vitamins for her to make her bones grow bigger and taller, but still haven't figure one yet.. Is it true that vitamins increases their appetite?

Thank you so much again for responding..

Regards,
Jhay

·
Registered
254 Posts
Personally, I think some of the best foods are the locally produced foods. Mostly because the people who make them know what goes into them. Often, they are also less expensive because they are not advertised. I've used Blue Seal Natural 26 for my dog until I just recently switched to Senior. While some sites don't rate it highly, my dog was "raised" on Purina and other foods in the shelter she was from and the difference in her shedding and coat was night and day. They have a puppy formula that I've heard good things about.

Here's the link to their site with the puppy food. You may be able to find a grain store near you. Product Detail - Blue Seal Blue Seal

It not only supports a local business, but also, in my opinion keeps the market honest. Feed stores are about farmers and keeping the animals healthy. I feel that they are innately more trustworthy than an industry based on only dog and cat food.

Also, I'd encourage the use of "fun food". Hide her food in a room like a treasure hunt, use treat balls, basically make her work for it. I've found even my most reluctant eaters willl happily gobble up food they've "worked" for

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
If you look online you can find a lot of weight tables made by Malinois breeders.
I've compared a few and for 6 weeks a weight of between ca. 3,5 kg to ca. 5 kg seems to be considered normal.

isn't 6 weeks too young to be with you yet? the normal age for a puppy to leave her mother and silblings to a new home would be 8 weeks or older in my country.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My mom bought a GSD BSD cross and was that pup tiny at ten weeks! She was smaller than I remember my Alva been (rough collie, adult weight 22 kg) at what, 8 weeks. I'd expect that mix to grow into around 30 kg (which scares my dad). We'll see. She is now three months old and grows very fast.

I know a puppy who was sold at 6 weeks. Outrageous... Luckily there was another friendly adult dog to show that puppy the ropes. The dog is a bit shy but I haven't noticed any clear damages. She is not a shepherd though.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Ooooh lord, did you get a Malinois as your first dog, or is this your first Malinois?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Some lines of malinois run really lean and may also take a long time to mature/fill out, especially some of the working lines. So I wouldn't worry TOO much, my boy is almost 14 months and he is still pretty gangly.

I personally don't think there is a "best" food, just what your dog does well on, and different foods can be available in different locations. With a good diet, you shouldn't need to supplement at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I like to avoid corn. Mals generally have less sensitive digestive systems than gsd, but many times it is hard to keep weight on them. First you need to find out what is available in your area and what you can afford. Feed stores are usually cheaper than pet stores. Then come back with specific food(s).

CHECK OUT: Best dog food for Belgian Malinois

1 - 9 of 9 Posts