Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my shih tzu Mitzi for four months now, and I think things are going really well! The one thing I think isn't great is how she gets really upset when I leave for work, even though I come home on my lunch break every day. It makes me wonder if I should get a second dog to keep her company while I'm gone. I just have a few things to think about first. How much more would it cost to keep two dogs instead of one? How can I bring one home and be sure that Mitzi will get along with it? Will having another dog in the apartment really help Mitzi not feel anxious when I'm not there?

Again, it'd have to be at least one year old and no more than 15 lbs. I'm thinking maybe a pug this time?

·
Registered
299 Posts
animals are extremely sensitive to our moods/vibes. have you thought about it that maybe she feels how anxious you are about leaving her and is playing on it? if you are nervous she will act nervous, if you over worry she will know that if she exhibits certain behaviour's, like barking or yelping when you leave, you hang around for ten minutes longer or turn around and give her attention.
try de sensitise her to the fact that she has to be alone sometimes. When mine was a puppy he used to throw a terrible tantrum when I try leave the house. Then I started pretending to leave. Id just go out the door and close the door and stand outside far enough so I could hear him but not close enough for him to know im just standing by the door. Repeating this over and over eventually made his tantrums shorter and shorter.
best of luck!

·
Registered
442 Posts
With our puppy, when I leave, I just leave quietly. I don't even look at him. I just slip out the door. He whimpers for about 10 seconds then falls asleep. When I come home, I don't make a big fuss either. I greet him obviously but I try not to make it some sort of big homecoming party lol

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm not a fan of getting dogs for dogs. You never know how the relationship is going to be. If YOU really want another dog, that is different.
I totally agree with this. Multiple dogs are often wonderful, lots of work, and fun, but you should want them. After all, if you get another dog and the dogs end up disliking each other, what then?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I am a fan of getting dogs for dogs. In fact, we got our Morkie as a companion for your Yorkie even though I'm home all day with them. I cannot do the running around/chasing that dogs like to do and felt it would help our older dog maintain a good exercise regime to get a second puppy. At first the older dog really didn't like the puppy but now they're pretty inseperable during the day. The Yorkie belongs to my daughter and sleeps with her at night while the puppy sleeps with me. When my daughter goes to work, she brings the Yorkie into my room and he takes a nap with me and the Morkie. My daughter and her boyfriend are getting their own apartment in the next few weeks, so the dogs will spend more time apart than they do now, but she'll still bring the Yorkie over to my house while she's at work so he's not alone.

As for cost, depending on what kind of dog you get, it might be affordable. Our dogs do cost us quite a bit but only because of grooming, treats, etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
I wonder how quickly Mitzi settles down when you depart after your lunch break. Does she remain anxious for the entire time you're out, or does she fairly quickly settle down?

You may find that her separation anxiety dissipates over time, especially if you keep your comings and goings very low-key. My dog Miles eventually just got over his anxiety as he got used to my schedule. Also, I used a Thundershirt, which seems to help. After about six months, he was fine.

I would recommend getting another dog only if you personally would enjoy a second dog. Each new dog is going to come with its own set of quirks. You may solve one problem only to end up with another concern.

If you decide to get a second dog, I'd highly recommend that you seek out a rescue group that fosters its dogs. You really need to know how well the next dog gets along with other dogs, and you'll want a trial period before you finalize the adoption to make sure that the two dogs reasonably get along.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree with both sides. Getting a dog for a dog CAN have it's benefits, but the humans have to want another dog FIRST. I never have less than three dogs (it's just always worked out great that way) but when I lost my senior boxer in January it broke my heart so badly I really didn't think I'd get another. However I was then left with a very energetic 4 year old dog and a lethargic 14 year old and the young guy was forever pestering the old guy who just wanted to SLEEP. That prompted me to put the dog count back up to 3 and it worked out beautifully. The senior pug now has peace and quiet and the two "youngin's" wear each other out. :)
Sue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts