Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about the lateness of this post but I had to get myself together first before I sat down and wrote down what happened.
Shelby has gone to the Rainbow Bridge. On Wednesday I spent the day with Barb doing some rescue business and when I got home mom told me that Shelby was the best of all the dogs because she stayed in her crate the whole time I was gone (not normal) So I watched her for a while. She was coughing which I thought was kennel cough from coming from that hell hole they call a shelter here in our county. By Thursday evening she was not doing well. My vet was about to leave for the day so I took her to the emergency vet clinic here. They determined that she was loaded with heartworms and had pneumonia. We were given several prescriptions and sent home to nurse her. By this morning she could hardly stand so I called my vet and got her in early in the morning. After a thorough exam he decided that he needed an xray. I authorized it so we would see what was going on inside of her before we went too far with treatment. Her heart was enlarged and was in a reverse D which means that one side had enlarged more than the other and that she had a huge infestation of heartworms. The prognosis was that she had less than a 50-50 chance of surviving the heartworm treatment and was in the second stages of pheumonia. My vet said she would only live another three to four years if she indeed did survive the heartworm treatment and said the best thing we could do would be to let her go.....I'm so glad he made the decision for me. It's hard enough to see them sick but to know there is very little hope for their survival makes it just that much worse.
Shelby was a sweet sweet dog. She only wanted to be loved and cared for. At least she had a few days of happiness here with the Rescue Squad. She will be missed greatly by me. She really touched my heart.

Thanks for letting me spill my guts...
Hugs

·
Registered
303 Posts
Oh Judy, Im so sorry about Shelby. Im very glad you were there to make her last days filled with love and comfort. Please know that you and Shelby are in my thoughts and prayers

Hugs
GG

·
Registered
620 Posts
Oh Judy, how very sad. I'm so sorry. But as GG said, I too am so glad you were there for her. Her last few days kept her safe and warm and happy.

Jo

·
Registered
94 Posts
Our thoughts and prayers are with you in this said time. We are so happy that she found someone as caring as yourself to go on that final journey with her. Even though you only had her for a short time, that time was spent in a loving and caring home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts